GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: V-8 left engine mount

Default V-8 left engine mount

I haven't even lifted the hood to look as I'm afraid. The mount is definately seperated.
    How much time and liquor are required?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I need to do this on my M-Sport as well. I've got the mounts and new bolts/nuts, just haven't had the time or desire to take it on yet. Shop says $190 to do both sides if I supply the parts. Am rather tempted just to let them do it...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

$190 is less then two hours in these parts so I'm encouraged.
    I've heard the horror stories about this side of the engine compartment from those doing P/S hoses so was scared to look.
    There is currently my "new" E30 vert outside less it's suspension so I have an excuse to procrastinate further on the 540. How about you do yours and check back?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I've done this last year, I started off the right hand side and it was a peace of cake then moved to the left one, like you said I heared a lot of horror stories about this one, so I called a friend of mine who is a handy person and we worked on it. I don't really remember how was the trick but we did it in a matter of minutes!!! yeah, but it's up to you to do it at your own risk.

Good luck

It is a PITA even with the oil filter housing loosened and moved out of the way. You also need this.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

from what I read it is not very hard, just need to put your wrenching hat on and tackle it with common sense, not like the steering hose which requires complete disassembly.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    $190 is less then two hours in these parts so I'm encouraged.
    I've heard the horror stories about this side of the engine compartment from those doing P/S hoses so was scared to look.
    There is currently my "new" E30 vert outside less it's suspension so I have an excuse to procrastinate further on the 540. How about you do yours and check back?
    As I recall of their hourly rates $190 covers two hours of time. And as the right side one is pretty easy from what I've heard I'd bet most of that time is spent on the left side mount.

Figure if I get a set of these http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...sName=Wrenches
    when they're on sale it'll help out a good deal as I hear that accessing the bolts is the difficult part of it. Figure those wrenches and going at it from underneath would be the easiest.

Wonder which of us will get to it first...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I remember unmounting the alternator and oil filter housing, plus disconnecting an oil return line from the filter at the pan or block, before finding room to install the mount. The oil line was the killa, I think. But maybe I didn't spot the easy way because of my spatial perception disability.

Sockets and lots of extensions worked for me. The killer is the top nut on the DS mount. Get this one off first. Raise the vehicle. Take a 17mm socket and attach to a U-Joint, then attach a 3" extension. Crawl under and find the nut, then set your nice socket assembly on the nut. Make sure that the top of the extension has nothing blocking it. Crawl out and locate the top of the extension from above. Start adding extensions until you have the clearance to break the nut loose. Some bearing grease in the socket should hold the nut long enough so it doesn't fall out. Then take the remaining nuts off, raise the engine and you're golden.

To get that top DS nut back on, crawl under, put it on and turn it by hand as much as possible, then put the socket-u-joint-3" extension assembly back on it and torque it down. This job took 2 hours with no special tools or disassembly. Good luck! You can do it.
    '95 540iA ~212k