GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M60 steering fluid hose leakage

Default M60 steering fluid hose leakage

Good day fellas,

I just figured out the source of the steering fluid leakage, it was the two hoses beneath the brake booster, it is the same one that marked with # 8 in the depicted image.

Apparently the hose clamps are too lose and need to be replaced, do you have an idea about replacing those damn hose clamps or even the whole hoses.

That location seems to be a popular area for PS system leak. It is a tough spot to do. I did during the 6 speed conversion with the engine removed. You probably need to remove the brake booster linkage to get access to a nut (or bolt) fastening the steel tubings to the car frame. I found the pressure hose impossible to remove without taking the steel tubings out.

The tubing removed.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

There was a thread about this a few months ago. The best access to the hoses is achieved by removing the headlight. You could try just replacing the clamps -- replacing the hoses can be a challenge without loosening the cooling coil (part No. 1 in the diagram), which is hard to get at without pulling the bumper.

The hoses can be replaced with the cooler mounted in place, but it's a tedious job. That said, the old hoses are probably hardened from the heat of the fluid and they may deteriorate further. Then you may have to go at it again.

[QUOTE=yaofeng;324618]That location seems to be a popular area for PS system leak. It is a tough spot to do. I did during the 6 speed conversion with the engine removed. You probably need to remove the brake booster linkage to get access to a nut (or bolt) fastening the steel tubings to the car frame. I found the pressure hose impossible to remove without taking the steel tubings out.

QUOTE]

Thanks buddy, third picture was such a help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
    There was a thread about this a few months ago. The best access to the hoses is achieved by removing the headlight. You could try just replacing the clamps -- replacing the hoses can be a challenge without loosening the cooling coil (part No. 1 in the diagram), which is hard to get at without pulling the bumper.

The hoses can be replaced with the cooler mounted in place, but it's a tedious job. That said, the old hoses are probably hardened from the heat of the fluid and they may deteriorate further. Then you may have to go at it again.

Thanks Mr._Graybeard, you're right, accessing the hoses was easy through the headlight. I replaced the worn clamps & every thing seem to be OK. One more thing, is there any necessary bleeding? I felt something wrong when I turn to the left, just like if the steering wheel stuck at somepoint then go smooth again.

The PS system should bleed itself. Just go back and forth from lock to lock a couple times. (Or maybe that's for a rack?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
    The PS system should bleed itself. Just go back and forth from lock to lock a couple times. (Or maybe that's for a rack?)
    It bleeded it self like you said, now it's smooth like it used to be

Thanks man.

How much is hight octane petrol over in Iraq..?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    How much is hight octane petrol over in Iraq..?
    Hi Jehu, there are two types of gas in here. Regular which has 83 octane no. and improved which has 98 octane no., Regular cost you 1.50 $ a gallon & improved cost 4.00 $ a gallon (yeah I know, expensive as hell!!!!!!).