GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to replace a windshield?

Default How to replace a windshield?

My windshield trim came off this weekend. Well, at least the top halves came loose and blew straight up in the wind so I just pulled the whole thing off since I was on the way to Atlanta for a concert. Since I need new trim, and the original windshield is pitted pretty badly, I thought I may as well replace it. Pull-a-part has several 5's locally now and will sell me a windshield for $29.71 if I take it out myself. At least local windshields will not have pits caused by salt and/or sand on the roads in winter (car came from Boston). My (rather quick) search did not reveal how to get one out or how to install one. It seems everyone has just gotten the "windshield guy" to replace theirs. Has anyone performed this transplant, or have any pointers? I carry liability only on this car, so insurance is not an option. Its do it myself, pay the windshield guy out of my own pocket, or live with the pitted glass. The real motivation to do this comes from the fact that it looks like the windshield needs to come out to replace the plastic clips which attach to the edges and hold the trim down (my clips are shot).
    Last edited by zhandax; 05-27-2009 at 06:16 AM.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

I thought these were glued as well as clipped so only good for one application?
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

So is there any way to remove a windshield without damage? Seems like a high likelihood....
    Last edited by zhandax; 05-27-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

I did it on parts cars. If you are lucky, you get it out without damage, if unlucky, broken.
    I bought the special tools as shown in above link, and I broke the glass.

Then I bought piano wire from a hardware shop, added on each end a wood piece as handle, and with 2 guys we made it like sawing thru the glue.
    But that was on parts cars, so we did not mind to damage the paint on the edges.

But the more difficult part will probably be the correct installation. See above the problems the pro shop had.

I have watched them do it two times... once all the trims are out, it wasn't too hard. I don't recall them removing wipers to do the job... but I think they did.

What they have is a long handle that has a straight razor on the end that is replaceble. I think they cut as much glue as they can from outside and then they go inside and use the razor to cut through. As they cut through, they use their body to push out the windshield to the razor can cut through easier... they start off from top... and once they got enough of wiggle room... cut side and pull out windshield more and finally the bottom.

If the glass you are removing is factory installed you have a fair chance of removing it with LOTS of patience. Be sure all the rubber it is set in is cut completely through. There are special tools for this, piano wire attatched to some wood dowels in a pinch.
    If you chip the edge the windshield will certainly crack from that point once any pressure is applied to it so move to the next car in the yard. If the donor has a replacement glass that was caulked in place by some butcher glass shop your work will be double.
    Do your best to save the clips and note on the trim where they are to be positioned. Install the clips with the glass, not after.
    Tough project, good luck.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Not something I would want to do, but I've just seen a truck windscreen replaced so this is what I learned from watching the installers:
    1. If not doing it inside, you need a dry day or the adhesive wont set
    2. Ideally you need the cutting tools but they are cheap. You need one man inside and one man outside when you come to the 'piano wire' bit
    3. Be careful you dont cut a section of your dashboard out with the old adhesive.
    4. With the glass out, trim the old adhesive back as far as you can using a stanley knife
    5. Apply the primer to the surround (I'd call this the important bit)
    6. Apply the adhesive
    7. Stick on wedges/clips etc - whatever holds the screen level etc
    8. Lift screen with suction cups and put it in place. Press firmly all round
    9. Put a line of masking tape along the roof and along the screen and fill the gap above the screen with more adhesive. Use a putty knife to flatten it. Then use some screen clean to make it smooth.
    10. Put back any fittings like trim/wipers etc
    11. Do not move vehicle for 1.5 hours

I didnt ask why they didnt put extra adhesive all round instead of just at the top. But the screen didnt fall out or leak

OK, replacing the windshield is optional; it just sounded like a cheap opportunity to do so since I have to replace the trim. I already have enough half-day projects without adding another. I do need to replace the trim for aerodynamics, for gas mileage, and for self-respect. Can I just break or cut the old clips, remove the back from the new ones (which would normally be embedded in adhesive) and cement the new ones in place? I can get new dealer trim from Bell BMW (NJ) for about $96 a side, or will yard parts do? I don't like the idea of yard parts because the cars they have now are older than mine so the plastic trim is probably more brittle.

One interesting note; I have been chasing a wind noise for a year and it sounded like it was coming from underneath the car. I did find that I left out one bolt when I re-installed the heat shield after replacing the front suspension, but I still had the noise when I got behind a semi. I have not heard the noise since I pulled the trim off. It was something hammering metal when I was in turbulence (the best example is behind a semi).

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax View Post
    OK, replacing the windshield is optional; it just sounded like a cheap opportunity to do so since I have to replace the trim. I already have enough half-day projects without adding another. I do need to replace the trim for aerodynamics, for gas mileage, and for self-respect. Can I just break or cut the old clips, remove the back from the new ones (which would normally be embedded in adhesive) and cement the new ones in place? I can get new dealer trim from Bell BMW (NJ) for about $96 a side, or will yard parts do? I don't like the idea of yard parts because the cars they have now are older than mine so the plastic trim is probably more brittle.

One interesting note; I have been chasing a wind noise for a year and it sounded like it was coming from underneath the car. I did find that I left out one bolt when I re-installed the heat shield after replacing the front suspension, but I still had the noise when I got behind a semi. I have not heard the noise since I pulled the trim off. It was something hammering metal when I was in turbulence (the best example is behind a semi).
    My upper windshield trim (right above the driver) was flapping and making the noise you describe - silicone cured that problem.
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast