GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need help With Remote Locking System Problem

Default Need help With Remote Locking System Problem

I put my new batteries into the Remote Key incorrectly and didn't notice they weren't placed in their proper orientations(+/-). I had them both the same way.I was distracted or too tired or whatever but the transmitter sat for over 12 hours without juice. OK so I get the batteries in correctly and go thru the initialization as per the Owner's manual but I get no response. The LED on the Key responds correctly,flashing for ten seconds after releasing button three after pressing button one 3x while holding button three after having turned the key to position once with the doors closed. I did it correctly. I've done it correctly and successfully before several times but there was no response from the system. Manual says if there's no lock/unlock cycle try it again so I did and still nothing. I called the local dealership as the Manual says if it doesn't work the dealer can reset it. I went over and some young technician was given my key and walks with me to my car. He starts to begin the initialization sequence and I tell him I've already done it and ask what the owner's manual means where it says the Dealer may have to "RESET" the system? He wasn't aware of any such procedure so as I was pressed for time I took off.

I tried a few things out of my hat like disconnecting the Negative battery Cable for five minutes or so and unplugging the receiver in the Rear View Mirror which set off the alarm/hazards. I could start the car with the alarm going off and it shut off when I depressed the door lock button on the driver's side door. The system was operating perfectly fine before I inserted the batteries incorrectly last night. What on Earth did I do and what in Heaven must I do to restore the remote locking system? Thanks
    Last edited by Jehu; 05-22-2009 at 01:56 AM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

So was there something about the explanation that was unintelligible or nobody has ever encountered the issue and found the remedy? Even the Dealership after a second call has me waiting for the shop foreman to return next Tuesday with everyone scratching their head about what the Owner's manual means by "RESETING" the locking system.. I can't go on using the key to manually lock and unlock the doors much longer..
    Last edited by Jehu; 05-22-2009 at 10:56 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95