GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New head on the Callaway turbo'd 535;pretty happy.

Default New head on the Callaway turbo'd 535;pretty happy.

Paul Burke built a new head for the 535. It has been on there for a few days now. Put everything back together with the ARP head studs torqued to 80ft/lbs on a Goetz head gasket with a few enlarged coolant passages. Keeping it reined in at 5lbs of boost while shaking it down for issues. It is very responsive; the boost shows up just under 2k rpms.

Looking for intercooler and water/methanol injection solutions.

Last edited by Martin in Bellevue; 05-18-2009 at 10:28 PM.
    erased due to slander

Martin.... how much boost do plan on running? Looks like an nice install, congrats... any more pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue View Post
    Paul Burke built a new head for the 535. It has been on there for a few days now. Put everything back together with the ARP head studs torqued to 80ft/lbs on a Goetz head gasket with a few enlarged coolant passages. Keeping it reined in at 5lbs of boost while shaking it down for issues. It is very responsive; the boost shows up just under 2k rpms.

Looking for intercooler and water/methanol injection solutions.

M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

Quote Originally Posted by M20Turbo View Post
    Martin.... how much boost do plan on running? Looks like an nice install, congrats... any more pics?
    I installed NGK bp7es spark plugs; they are a couple ranges colder than the stock Bosch Silbers. That was a noticeable improvement. The midrange is pretty smooth. I think I've built the motor with the capacity for reliable boost up to 12lbs. That may be the reliability threshold, barring too many over-rev's. I plan to visit the dyno once the methanol injection is working. I'd like to know where 5lbs gets the m30.

Edit: I added a Snow Performance 2 stage water/methanol injection kit. It is intended to address the detonation issues under boost. It seems pretty great.

Here's the Goertz head gasket that Paul modified for better cooling.

Here's a VAC headgasket for power-added m10s. Notice the coolant passages; they're huge.

Here's a comparison shot of the ARP #201-4602 head stud & stock bolt. I don't like that the stud isn't shouldered like the stock bolt to locate the rocker shafts.

Here's the Elring head gasket that didn't hold with the last head. Prolly well over-boosted; have since added a VDO vacuum/boost gauge.

Here's the colder NGk plug next to a stock Silber.
    Last edited by Martin in Bellevue; 05-24-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    erased due to slander

Looks good Martin

Martin what was modifited on the headgasket? I visually comapred it to a new Goetze one in front of me and I couldn't notice any differences

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
    Martin what was modifited on the headgasket? I visually comapred it to a new Goetze one in front of me and I couldn't notice any differences
    The coolant passages were opened up. Notice how big the coolant passages are on VAC's headagasket. Paul enlarged a few specific holes to flow more volume on the m30 gasket.
    erased due to slander

Hey Martin - looks fantastic! Is that your old 535, and are you still in CA?

How does a turbo'd 535 compare to your blown m3?

Looks like a lot of fun, I'm "hella" jealous.

- Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im View Post
    Hey Martin - looks fantastic! Is that your old 535, and are you still in CA?

How does a turbo'd 535 compare to your blown m3?

Looks like a lot of fun, I'm "hella" jealous.

- Robin
    Robin, don't be hella jealous. I've been struggling with an intermittent stalling problem since the last track day. It was very fun, up to leaving the track in late afternoon. Ordered an ignition switch. Added a track pipe. Trying to get some support with no 5 stomp throttle wot code reporting.

Edit: new coolant temp sensor & different idle control fixed the crap running. Yea.

How does the turbo 535 compare to the supacharged m3? The m3 is reliable enough to be the daily driver. Wah wah wah, poor (pour) me.
    Last edited by Martin in Bellevue; 07-08-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    erased due to slander

The turbo 535 project is finally at a point that I can consider it 'done'. Installed TCD's stage 2 turbo last weekend, replacing the crap'd out RotoMaster.
    Traced down the remaining oil leaks. Carved up a newer valve cover to clear 4 head studs & nuts. The baffle was 'adjusted' to clear 2 studs. Ground down 2 forward posts to clear the front pair of head studs; there was enough interference to prohibit a decent seal. Replaced the oil supply line fitting at the turbo with a better application. The new TCD turbo has a different, smaller line in boss.
    Now, it is leak free and quick. Will get to a dyno soon.

Edit: Added an msd blaster2 ignition coil. The stock coil wasn't able to deal with the boost under certain conditions.
    Last edited by Martin in Bellevue; 10-12-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    erased due to slander