GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e34 windshield replacement.. $500! Really?

Default e34 windshield replacement.. $500! Really?

Is there any way around this? My windshield is broken and the windshield guys I've talked to say that they don't think they can re-use my moulding because it is a little dry. I don't think I'm a tightwad, I've spent a ton of money on this car, but I can't bring myself to pay $250 for two rubber strips. From the research I've done so far there seems to be no way around it, though.. So who has replaced their windshield for less than $500 and how'd you go about doing it?
    Last edited by jbraswell; 05-14-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    '92 536i (m30)
    '88 535i

I paid well over $500 for mine. but i was in Canada at the time.

A scrapyard might have a useable one for far less, just a thought!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Check out glass.net... windshield.net is interesting... they have price for just the windshield... $139 that you can pick up yourself. So basically, they charge $100 to install it.

Find out how much are those parts that you need from BMA.

Cost me $175 installed, not OEM obviously (I think I went safelite) and they used a generic seal instead of the prohibitively expensive BMW one, but it honestly looks perfectly fine if not better on my black car. Very difficult to justify paying as much as 1/4 of the value of the car for a piece of glass.

Yeah, I know... it is only glass. When did you had yours replaced? My current MB is done by Safelite too.. Did they charge you extra for the seals like the original poster said?

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana19 View Post
    Cost me $175 installed, not OEM obviously (I think I went safelite) and they used a generic seal instead of the prohibitively expensive BMW one, but it honestly looks perfectly fine if not better on my black car. Very difficult to justify paying as much as 1/4 of the value of the car for a piece of glass.
    what do you mean by 'generic seal' - you mean you no longer have the window trim around the front of your car?

I've done the windshield on both of my E34s. I spent a bit over US$1000 on doing my preferred car the right way, genuine glass, with new genuine trim strips. But it was only about US$200 on my other one with a generic locally made glass with a generic rubber trim around the edge. I'm glad I went with the options that I did because it gave the right result for each car. There is a very very slight wind noise on the generic one, but not something that's ever going to annoy me.

Well I was perfectly fine with the idea of a generic moulding, but no one will do it! I've tried Safelite, Binswanger, and at least 5 local installers and they all want me to buy factory trim. BMA has the pieces, but they are still $102 per side.. I just can't justify spending that much on two trim pieces for this car
    '92 536i (m30)
    '88 535i

Quote Originally Posted by jbraswell View Post
    Well I was perfectly fine with the idea of a generic moulding, but no one will do it! I've tried Safelite, Binswanger, and at least 5 local installers and they all want me to buy factory trim. BMA has the pieces, but they are still $102 per side.. I just can't justify spending that much on two trim pieces for this car
    yea some parts are way overpriced. how much do you think cost stupid little seals for convertible E30? 55 bloody euros for a a 2 feet ****ing rubber seal. there is 4 of them and the main front seal costs 200 euros if I recall correctly.

I wanted to replace the rubber seals around the doors on my E34. i run away hearing the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast