GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: e34 windshield replacement.. $500! Really?

Just got off the phone with a local shop and they said they would do the windshield for $170 installed with new clips re-using my old moudlings.. And he would bring a used moulding that he already has in the event that one of mine breaks.
    '92 536i (m30)
    '88 535i

I paid about $450AUD not long ago for a new windscreen. Had to wait a few days apparently there was only 1 in Melbourne...They did away with the factory mouldings etc. Instead they used a continuous rubber moulding from the side, along the top and to the other side; it doesnt leak or create any noticeable wind noise.
    Oh and I don't think wreckers/junk yards are allowed to sell windscreens because, here at leased, it's a road worthy issue.
    Ken, from Melbourne AUS.
    '89 535iA with a 5 speed swap.

I am glad it worked out for you... good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jbraswell View Post
    Is there any way around this? My windshield is broken and the windshield guys I've talked to say that they don't think they can re-use my moulding because it is a little dry. I don't think I'm a tightwad, I've spent a ton of money on this car, but I can't bring myself to pay $250 for two rubber strips. From the research I've done so far there seems to be no way around it, though.. So who has replaced their windshield for less than $500 and how'd you go about doing it?
    $500 seems to be on the higher side. I had mine replace last year (April 08) for $275. It was an OEM glass. One of my moldings had blown off so got those replaced with new ones as well.

Who did you use? Sigla glass at that price?

Windshield is replaced and it looks great.. My trim was too dry to re-use so he used an aftermarket moulding which actually looks better than stock IMO.. Also used Pilkington glass, which is pretty decent quality from what I've heard. I'm very happy with it for the price
    '92 536i (m30)
    '88 535i

Quote Originally Posted by jbraswell View Post
    Windshield is replaced and it looks great.. My trim was too dry to re-use so he used an aftermarket moulding which actually looks better than stock IMO.. Also used Pilkington glass, which is pretty decent quality from what I've heard. I'm very happy with it for the price
    your mileage may vary, but my pilkington windshield began to chip and pit almost immediately after installation.

OE glass and moldings will set you back near $800. The moldings are half of it.
    Beware of rust promoting bogus stick on rubber trim or reusing the old moldings by caulking them in place. The channel around the glass that is designed to allow water to drain off into the cowl area gets blocked with all the goop they use and will hold water with predictable consequences.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    OE glass and moldings will set you back near $800. The moldings are half of it.
    Beware of rust promoting bogus stick on rubber trim or reusing the old moldings by caulking them in place. The channel around the glass that is designed to allow water to drain off into the cowl area gets blocked with all the goop they use and will hold water with predictable consequences.
    I had read about his in another thread and asked the tech about that.. These mouldings have a recessed outer area to drain water, its kind of hard to explain, I'll try to get a picture up soon. The other aftermarket mouldings I was shown by another glass company definitely seemed like they could've caused some problems as they were designed to be glued inside the channel.
    '92 536i (m30)
    '88 535i

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12