GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Absolute minimum requirements for Rod conversion?

Default Absolute minimum requirements for Rod conversion?

I was raised restoring cars and building Street Rods. I prefer Rat Rods, but let's not worry about that, here. I've often considered attempting to utilize the drivetrain from a 525i for a rod project. Obviously, these are one of the drivetrains that are not considered because of all the computerised stuff, and the fact that it's a BMW. (in a chevy or ford rod, ZOMG WTH?! What I'd like is peoples input on only what is needed to make the drivetrain work in the car and not have the computer freak out because something is no longer present, such as ABS or what-not. (Computer: "WTF is going on he... BRAKE LIGHT CIRCUIT!")

All I would want to make work is the engine and tranny. Automatic preferred, but manual if auto is just too complicated. I would rather not use the factory rear-end because I would probably want to stick with an old-timey Ford banjo rear-end with re-splined axles or throw a Ford 9" at it. But if it's necessary because of the speedometer then fine.

The only part that is scary about the original rear, to me, is utilizing the independant suspension setup; having to mock up a custom frame setup to utilize the strut-type suspension and getting the geometry correct. ACK!

I'm not interested in air-conditioning or power-steering. In fact eliminating the power-brake portion from the system would be good, too since an old rod would use a more street-roddish type of power-brake booster that mounts under the floor or something. Also the HVAC system would need to be eliminated as it's just too bulky and complicated.

Imagine a 30's truck cab or Model-A body mounted on a custom Model-A frame. Can keep factory E34 instrument cluster, but that's about it, and even then, if it's possible to just convert to stand-alone guages, that's even better.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things, but it's a start. Discuss...

p.s. Any idea's for simplifying the horrific coolant hose nightmare would be ideal. This situation would also NOT allow for the factory E34 radiator as it won't sit behind a Model-A/'32 grille shell.

Why bother at all with the computer and EFI? A multiple carb set up would be more appropriate anyway. 3 Weber side drafts? M20 still has a dizzy so ignition could be via a simple electronic system.
    If you are near the Chicago area check out the "Hunert Car Pile-up" in the fall.
    http://www.hunnertcarpileup.com/
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Why bother at all with the computer and EFI? A multiple carb set up would be more appropriate anyway. 3 Weber side drafts? M20 still has a dizzy so ignition could be via a simple electronic system.
    If you are near the Chicago area check out the "Hunert Car Pile-up" in the fall.
    http://www.hunnertcarpileup.com/
    Like the sound of this retro stuff Ross! Pancake air filters! I've still got a dwell meter somewhere... None of that namby pamby OBC stuff

Last time I was required to set breaker points I couldn't find my dwell meter, or feeler gauges. A cardboard matchbook cover still worked well enough.
    I'd love to see a carbed BMW engine in something. ONE day I'll carb an M70 for swapping into something or other.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Because I can just buy a 525i with a blown head-gasket for next to nothing and everything is already there. But do tell me more about this retrofitting stuff. If it's not too difficult I would be willing to go that route as well. I have an '81 or so Jaguar motor what I wanted to do that with, but I never concluded if it was that easy.