GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to guess what my spider-robot does?

Default Anyone want to guess what my spider-robot does?

no hints it's too easy...

Attached Images Attached Images   

Knocks out high frequency for your boom box?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Knocks out high frequency for your boom box?
    dammit that was too easy. ok bonus points if you can guess the xover point. (-6dB)

these things are so cool, i am lovin' this stereo install check out what's next...

while i was there i secured the factory amp guts properly, looks even better with the trunk panel back on.

Looks like a pretty cool setup, So this is just to feed the amp for the boom box?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yeah so actually you were really only 'close enough'.

The spider robot actually kills low frequencies going to the factory crossovers.
    One capacitor for each speaker group.

The other thing is what will knock out the high frequencies going to the sub - it will sit (somewhere) between the power amp (that you haven't seen yet)and the sub.

well my son shed no light on the spider, I thought sound system as there was no other purpose for it so I guessed. had this been any other forum I would have had no clue.

The MFD does nothing for me but my son recognized it but still had no clue.

What are you doing with all this so I can somewhat try to understand it?

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    Yeah so actually you were really only 'close enough'.

The spider robot actually kills low frequencies going to the factory crossovers.
    One capacitor for each speaker group.

The other thing is what will knock out the high frequencies going to the sub - it will sit (somewhere) between the power amp (that you haven't seen yet)and the sub.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Yeah I shouldn't have given it to you, you were actually wrong. kids won't know, they use active crossovers now - he'll have a better chance identifying an 8 track!

I'm installing a sub (u knew that...) these doodads I'm putting in are basically an extension of the crossover system I ripped out of the amp.

See how it works? The coils block high frequencies and the capacitors block lows.

My new 'PAC's block the low frequencies to the factory speakers. This is for 2 good reasons.

1-Bass waves are what kill speakers. Those bitty 5.25 factory woofers (which are great spkrs btw) are trying to create soundwaves 3 metres long. Pop a cover off on the rears one day and put something bassy in - you can see they want to just about jump out of their mounts, while the tweeters barely move. So the more you increase power (ie with aftermarket amp) the more you have to cut the low frequencies to the factories - I noticed a lot of people have had the rear speakers blow (happened to me) after an a/m stereo install. Really it only affects the woofers as the other factory speakers already have the bass cut with the factory capacitors.

2-My subwoofer is going to be playing those low frequencies. If I left them in the factories too I would get a spike in low hz output. It's more complicated but basically you want all the bass in the sub or you are still limited in (quality) low hz output because of the factory woofers. Basically I'd rather listen to bass from an 8" vifa without the 5.25" nokias trying to keep up.

The really cool subwoofer crossover cuts high frequencies to the sub. Same reason, the factory mids and tweeters will do a better job with those frequencies.

The goal of a good audio system is first to get a good even flat response at all levels and THEN you can crank the bass if you want to.

*- here is the theory... these are frequency response charts. The first one is the factory system (1 front 3-way group... 2-way works the same but is more demanding on the woofer, which is why they blow). Each speaker has its own range of frequencies to take care of. The second chart is what happens when you add a sub without filtering the factory system. The third one is with spider-robot added. With a nice flat (if i could draw) response like this you can pump up the volume and it will sound good. BTW- what is MFD?
    Last edited by tim eh?; 05-03-2009 at 10:08 AM.

MFD = µfd = Microfarad, the capacitor's rating.

Can't wait to see your sub.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    MFD = µfd = Microfarad, the capacitor's rating.
    oh ok I see where you got that from Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    Can't wait to see your sub.
    here it is

here's the amp...

don't hold your breath tho... car looks like this at the moment...

sunroof drains all screwed up again wtf. gives me a chance to paint the floor with POR-15 this time... still waiting for heater core pipe...

So, how many watts? What brand? If I recall, you said you had two 8 inch Vifas. Are you using both? Are you boxing it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast