GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way to dissolve Red Loctite?

Default Any way to dissolve Red Loctite?

Got some on the Steering Wheel spline I guess when I tightened down the bolt after swapping wheels and then I find it wasn't actually centered . Now I can't pull it off. Tell me there is something that I can drip into the spline that will break this insane bond...This has to have happened to someone before. Everywhere I read the answer is Acetylene Torch etc.. high heat.. That's not going to be an option for the steering wheel for obvious reasons.. Acetone maybe? Hydrochloric Acid? I wish I read this was this strong a bond I'd have been much more careful. I just thought it was a mild thing to keep the bolt from loosening .. I was able to break the Nut which I Liberally dosed with this stuff and that kind of gives me some hope I can pull the wheel off without destroying the telescoping mechanism..
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

You didn't say but have you broken out the puller yet?

Something like this:
    http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kti70330.html

I've had some wheels stuck on (minus locktite) that almost broke my puller. I had to tighten the center nut (maximum pull) and then smack the wheel with a BFH. When she broke, it went off like an explosion...so be careful.

If the puller can't power through the locktite, then you have to heat it per:
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/quest...rme=125#cat125

Sorry,

Brian

I still wonder if there is a fluid chemical which The manufacturer is not interested in being widely known as being able to break the bond of their product.. I haven't used a puller ,no I just did this this afternoon.

I second the puller idea.

Even the directions on the locktite should say use 1 drop on the threads >_< Also, for future reference, there's different grades of locktite. Blue (which comes in a red bottle) is the best choice for anything that you need to remove with hand tools (with some effort) later.

If the puller fails, I've removed a wheel with a second person before. One has to grip the wheel and put constant pulling pressure on it while the other hits the shaft with a hand-held sledge of about 3 pounds or so. You have to hit it dead on so you don't mash up the threads but if you hit them just right the shaft will push in ever so slightly to break the bond.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

I think loctite forms a polymer with itself by extending a double carbon carbon bond. If it were to be soluble, which i think is unlikely, try something organic such as alcohol or acetone. Generally carbon carbon bonds are a pain to break, releasing a lot of energy in the process.

Here is my wacky suggestion:

Get some dry ice and freeze the parts in question. maybe the contraction of the metal, along with the polymer becoming more brittle may weaken the loctite
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx View Post
    I second the puller idea.

Even the directions on the Loctite should say use 1 drop on the threads >_< Also, for future reference, there's different grades of Loctite. Blue (which comes in a red bottle) is the best choice for anything that you need to remove with hand tools (with some effort) later.

If the puller fails, I've removed a wheel with a second person before. One has to grip the wheel and put constant pulling pressure on it while the other hits the shaft with a hand-held sledge of about 3 pounds or so. You have to hit it dead on so you don't mash up the threads but if you hit them just right the shaft will push in ever so slightly to break the bond.
    I know that possibly would have prevented the excess tranferage but I was able to budge the thing a millimeter or so so maybe I can get it off with a steering wheel puller.. It was a nice clean fit before ,slipped right on.. Wish I could find the "DIY" write up which mentioned red Loctite.. I stupidly just took it at face value and only after this read about its uber tenacity.. fine for places one can use a torch or swing a sledge hammer..

Not this..

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Got some on the Steering Wheel spline I guess when I tightened down the bolt after swapping wheels and then I find it wasn't actually centered . Now I can't pull it off. Tell me there is something that I can drip into the spline that will break this insane bond...This has to have happened to someone before. Everywhere I read the answer is Acetylene Torch etc.. high heat.. That's not going to be an option for the steering wheel for obvious reasons.. Acetone maybe? Hydrochloric Acid? I wish I read this was this strong a bond I'd have been much more careful. I just thought it was a mild thing to keep the bolt from loosening .. I was able to break the Nut which I Liberally dosed with this stuff and that kind of gives me some hope I can pull the wheel off without destroying the telescoping mechanism..

You do have the key turned to the on position? It won't come off otherwise.

this is a random and wild guess but maybe try something like brake fluid...its seems to break down everything else...

i would imagine HCl would be your best choice...be careful as it is very acidic and will ruin everything...leather, seats, carpet, etc...

have plenty of h20 next to you just in case...oh and wear some gloves!
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

WTF? You serious? I have NEVER read this anywhere...LOL My goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    You do have the key turned to the on position? It won't come off otherwise.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Go to home depot and get a small hand held torch. I have one in my tool box that take these little propane containers that look like a Bic lighter. or get a small tip for a regular torch. Heat just the center bolt with the puller on it. The more heat you give it the looser the bond gets.

Scott
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
    - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast