GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Instrument Cluster :(

Default Las Vegas Instrument Cluster :(

First off, It was good to see this forum still in existence, while researching my problem around, there appear to be none classier and more mature than this stronghold of wealth. I used to be on this forum quite a bit and then kind of lost track of it (not because my car was problem less ofcourse)

So I seem to have reached wits end and am nearing a trip to the stealership, but not after a last ditch effort to try and find out what is going on, so here goes:

1995 525i 140k miles (my profile said 111k, that was a while ago..)

The center information cluster, along with the gear indicator and mileage cluster will randomly start flashing and rolling. Imagine a combination between night rider and las vegas light shows. I will try and get a video of it if that would help the diagnoses. Does anyone have a clue what is going on here? I have not found it to be specific to shock.

(remember me now?)
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

My suggestion is opening up the cluster and having a look at it to see if anything obvious happened like a leaking capacitor, or a loose part.

Also, if you can get your hands on a matching used cluster, would be ideal. The stealer might want to cut corners and make you buy parts, because diagnostics of this type of problem can be quite hellish.

However, keep in mind that there are bulbs lighting these. There might be a loose connection somewhere too.

I had a friend with that problem. The cause was that the engine was misfiring and upsetting the electrics of the whole car. I think his mechanic replaced all of the leads, plugs, cap and rotor. You can doesn't have half of those items, but it might be something similar.

I managed to wiggle the cluster loose, was unable to completey take it off because the top steering wheel shaft cover was still in place, but i did manage to connect and disconnect the connectors, which actually made it worse now, as it fully lights up, but doesnt have any data on it, occasionally it will run through the pixels from top to bottom. I will try later to take the whole thing out. Any one else have heard of this happening?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    My suggestion is opening up the cluster and having a look at it to see if anything obvious happened like a leaking capacitor, or a loose part.

Also, if you can get your hands on a matching used cluster, would be ideal. The stealer might want to cut corners and make you buy parts, because diagnostics of this type of problem can be quite hellish.

However, keep in mind that there are bulbs lighting these. There might be a loose connection somewhere too.
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Default the 1995 M50 engine uses 6 individual coils,

mounted above each plug. Distributor went the way of the Emu, still I suppose there could be some hivoltage leakage, does the car run normally except for the light sgow?

Good luck,

John
    1995 525i 5 speed 125K miles.

Car actually runs like crap. Twice now it has had a dramatic loss of power while going at highway speed, car then stalls, wont start for a little, then runs like it is on 2 pistons, it may fire through the manifold a little, then it will caugh it out and leave me clueless.
    Thought it was an unrelated issue. Tell me more.

I did recently( 200miles ago) change spark plugs, notices some grime between coil and spark, figured that was the problem, but the previously described episode reoccured.
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Quote Originally Posted by mzarifkar View Post
    Car actually runs like crap. Twice now it has had a dramatic loss of power while going at highway speed, car then stalls, wont start for a little, then runs like it is on 2 pistons, it may fire through the manifold a little, then it will caugh it out and leave me clueless.
    Thought it was an unrelated issue. Tell me more.

I did recently( 200miles ago) change spark plugs, notices some grime between coil and spark, figured that was the problem, but the previously described episode reoccured.
    Get it running more smoothly and then see what the cluster does. What codes do you get from it?

Low voltage will cause the car to run poorly and also all sorts of other odd behavior, everything is computer controlled.
    The LCD displays also sometimes loose pixels or intermittantly lose pixels, sometimes temperature related.
    The current which "switches" the liquid crystals is provided by a compressible connection on one side, sort of rubberlike. If the bond becomes weak they go haywire. Reclamping the assembly will often bring them back. There are metal tabs that hold it all together, give them a lttle extra squeeze, don't seperate the LCD panel from the "rubber" strip. This will all make sense once the parts are before you.
    If pressing on the face of the cluster effects the display, this is your problem.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Mine's done this randomly for almost a year now. Seemed less likely to go haywire when it's cold outside, but I drove it 600 miles in hot (80-90°) weather the past two days and it didn't go into "vegas mode" at all. Then the next morning I started it up and within a few minutes it went haywire. Car runs beautifully, but the battery is old (8 years) and voltage could be low - but I doubt it. When I 'push' on the cluster face, there is no change, but the cluster doesn't have any movement either. I suppose we'll have to take the cluster out and check the LCD panel to make sure it's clamped securely.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

low voltage makes a lot of sense here and in OP's situation.

not that i know fer sure ... my cluster went nuts with <12v - not like that, but I think it's a pretty good bet, especially if the engine's running poorly. but what happens when you turn everything on? (i mean everything... highbeams, max blower, rear defrost...)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast