GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: chips

ian w Guest

Default chips

Hi all,

Looking at your car descriptions , most of you guys seem to have chipped your e34s . Could I have your views on the best types. My car is 1994 530 auto which runs daily without fault.

I did have 2 new cats fitted at the last emmision check(mot), so Im concerned not to increase these levels.

Fuel is also about £4 a gallon in the UK and at the present 16 - 17 mpg makes this more costly than most of my other bad habits.

Can improvements in these areas and performance be achieved?

Thanks

both of my cars have increased mileage by one or two mpg with a chip, but the trade off is buying better fuel to avoid knock, here in the usa the good stuff is only about .20 cents a gallon more then el-cheepo low grade gas so you generally break even
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

ian w Guest

our fuel comes in two flavours 95 octane and 97 they are generally about 83p and 85p a litre(gallons are illegal here now!) but can go as high as £1+ if your in the wrong place .
    I mostly use 95 octane, with the occasional fill up on 97. Are the chips commercially availible, do you know of a web site or review were they've been tested.

I had a 530 and installed a Dinan chip which made a check engine light come on when coasting down a long grade . Changed to Conforti which was better. Mark D'Silva has a chip for these now at a much better price and I hear his chip is as good or better than any of the others.

For what its worth, I do not know of any BMW's that do not require premium fuel. Thus, I cannot understand why any enthusiast would run anything but premium in a high performance machine. In the US, generally 91 to 93 is available and 89 is usually mid-grade. Many of these cars do not have a knock sensor to retard the timing. Just a few thoughts.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

ian w Guest

Default chips

Thanks for the advice , I have visited both the eat and conforti sites. Sounds like a good way to go.

The new cats I have just had fitted began to rattle yesterday ,only fitted one month and £1000 ago. The garage is mincing about replacing them ( apparantly I may have driven through a field in my 3L v8 mtech'd car).

Anyway this problem has my attention and possibly my cash for a little while but thanks again.

Lot of bad stuff in this thread , but I enjoy my v8 . If theres anyone thinking of buying one, do it and treat yourself to 5000+rpm at least once a day!!

Quote Originally Posted by ian w
    Thanks for the advice , I have visited both the eat and conforti sites. Sounds like a good way to go.

The new cats I have just had fitted began to rattle yesterday ,only fitted one month and £1000 ago. The garage is mincing about replacing them ( apparantly I may have driven through a field in my 3L v8 mtech'd car).

Anyway this problem has my attention and possibly my cash for a little while but thanks again.

Lot of bad stuff in this thread , but I enjoy my v8 . If theres anyone thinking of buying one, do it and treat yourself to 5000+rpm at least once a day!!
    Hello Ian,
    I made a revision to my 530iA chip which was in field testing and it's working well. (there was some hard shifting in some cars which is now solved)
    If you would like to try one, I'll send one out for evaluation and you can pay if you like it, or else send it back. (that's just an offer I'm making on this chip and because you are in the UK)

Mark

Default 530i Chips

Hi Mark

I have a 530iA here in Australia. Had the car 3 weeks and love it, but would like to clear the hesitation coming off idle and maybe smooth out the V8 shake at idle when cold (that’s what I am telling the good lady wife). I'm actually also interested in more hp (surprise surprise) and improved fuel economy.

When I checked your site, the 530 chip was specific to the eprom version in the car. Is this still the case?

Reid
    Reid (530iA)

Quote Originally Posted by Reidal
    Hi Mark

I have a 530iA here in Australia. Had the car 3 weeks and love it, but would like to clear the hesitation coming off idle and maybe smooth out the V8 shake at idle when cold (that’s what I am telling the good lady wife). I'm actually also interested in more hp (surprise surprise) and improved fuel economy.

When I checked your site, the 530 chip was specific to the eprom version in the car. Is this still the case?

Reid
    Yes I need the number from the chip or the one on the cover of the DME. I have a chip for the 1 744 050 version (on cover)

Mark

I don't have that number on the DME. I've sent you an email with further details. Not the end of the world if you can't help

Reid
    Reid (530iA)