GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Thermostat

Default Thermostat

Just a silly Question about the Thermostat (Throttle Body Thermostat to control water flow temperature to throttle body) that is connected to the air filter box. Will it hurt the engine if I connected it directly to each other, Due I broke mine and need to drive about 50miles to get a replacement.

Default No problem. I did the same thing years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by bad2buck View Post
    Just a silly Question about the Thermostat (Throttle Body Thermostat to control water flow temperature to throttle body) that is connected to the air filter box. Will it hurt the engine if I connected it directly to each other, Due I broke mine and need to drive about 50miles to get a replacement.

Just make sure you don't have a leak or you will eventually overheat your engine since it uses the coolant flowing from the radiator. This device is to get the throttle body heated up in case of a cold day. I live in Arizona so I could pretty much bypass it and plug the hole in the air filter box.

JD

Check the coolant passage in you throttle body. There's a good chance that it is completely plugged with deposits. That's what we found on my brother's M50 engine. I guess that there is not much circulation through that cooling circuit because the airbox thermostat only opens during cold weather.

If indeed it is clogged use some type of drain cleaner. Make sure you only use it until water starts to flow out the other side because you don't want to damage the TB.