GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M5 bushings on thrust and control arms

Default M5 bushings on thrust and control arms

Emailed BMAparts and AutoHauz, both of them were unsure if the M5 bushings would work in the E32 control and thrust arms? Does anyone have the numbers for these bushings? Are the bushings all the same for the thrust and control arms? For clarification I am using the tech gargon control arms are the lower control arms and thrust arms are the upper control arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Emailed BMAparts and AutoHauz, both of them were unsure if the M5 bushings would work in the E32 control and thrust arms? Does anyone have the numbers for these bushings? Are the bushings all the same for the thrust and control arms? For clarification I am using the tech gargon control arms are the lower control arms and thrust arms are the upper control arms.
    The upper & lower control arm bushings for the e32 fit the e34 and visa versa.

Take a look and cross referance the arms and bushings.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/index.do

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I have e34 M5 upper control arm bushings in my e32. I also put them in my son's 89 535i. Pelican's currently has them listed for $26.25, 31-12-2-226-528, for 91-93 3.6
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Default Man I have never seen a car with so many names for a part

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    I have e34 M5 upper control arm bushings in my e32. I also put them in my son's 89 535i. Pelican's currently has them listed for $26.25, 31-12-2-226-528, for 91-93 3.6
    Man I have never seen a car with so many names for a part. On the pelican site they call this a Front Support Arm Bushing. I am assuming this is the upper control arm or as it is referenced the Thrust arm. Do these bushing also replace the lower control arm? So I should just replace four?

The referenced bushing is for the upper arm, aka thrust arm. I dicked around with mine replacing just the bushings, only to have to go back later and replace the whole arm as well, ball joints wear but not as easy to test/inspect.

The upper and lower bushings are not the same design. The lower arm bushings are replaceable if they are steel arms. The bushings might be available for aluminum lower arms, but not recommended to replace them -- would become a safety issue if the cast aluminum arms cracked while pressing new bushings.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Default Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    The referenced bushing is for the upper arm, aka thrust arm. I dicked around with mine replacing just the bushings, only to have to go back later and replace the whole arm as well, ball joints wear but not as easy to test/inspect.

The upper and lower bushings are not the same design. The lower arm bushings are replaceable if they are steel arms. The bushings might be available for aluminum lower arms, but not recommended to replace them -- would become a safety issue if the cast aluminum arms cracked while pressing new bushings.
    Thanks for the info. There is definitely the 40-50 mph wobble so it sounds like I will need to pull the upper control arms for sure. Replacing all four control arms sounds like a expensive proposition. Right now we are trying to save for my oldest son's college and laying out $600 is a bit much right now. I think what I will do is remove the upper control arms and take a look at them. If the ball joints are toast then I will need to replace the whole arm. But if the ball joints look sound then I will purchase the M5 bushings and have them pressed in. Only problem is the car will be down for a week or so waiting for the parts by mail. Don't want to buy everything and then not need them. Do you have any experience with the arms that have the bonus feature of being able to remove and press in new ball joints?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Thanks for the info. There is definitely the 40-50 mph wobble so it sounds like I will need to pull the upper control arms for sure. Replacing all four control arms sounds like a expensive proposition. Right now we are trying to save for my oldest son's college and laying out $600 is a bit much right now. I think what I will do is remove the upper control arms and take a look at them. If the ball joints are toast then I will need to replace the whole arm. But if the ball joints look sound then I will purchase the M5 bushings and have them pressed in. Only problem is the car will be down for a week or so waiting for the parts by mail. Don't want to buy everything and then not need them. Do you have any experience with the arms that have the bonus feature of being able to remove and press in new ball joints?
    Why not just buy powerflex bushes and you can put them in yourself (saving $$$)... They last forever and they're VERY reasonably priced too! (Even if the balljoint goes you can buy a new arm without a bush and just pop them in). I've had mine in a while now and they're brilliant. Have a look: http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...ight=powerflex
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Are you recommending copper grease on the powerflex bushings?

M5 bushings dont need any greasing, stock components for more expensive vehicles.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    Why not just buy powerflex bushes and you can put them in yourself (saving $$$)... They last forever and they're VERY reasonably priced too! (Even if the balljoint goes you can buy a new arm without a bush and just pop them in). I've had mine in a while now and they're brilliant. Have a look: http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...ight=powerflex
    If your roads are like mine....Buy a kidney belt, so you don't piss blood.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast