GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535i Auto 1990 - Strange MPG Guage / Trans Issue.

Unregistered Guest

Default 535i Auto 1990 - Strange MPG Guage / Trans Issue.

Hi All,

Just looking for a little help with a 535A '90. What I have noticed happen in the last 2 weeks is this:

When you normally drive the dash mounted MPG guage is pretty good. At standstill its off to the right at (0) which is normal and when driving its pretty much on par with the OBC. And when going downhill's or on the overrun its way past the (50) marker (all the way left) which is normal you expect when more or less free wheeling.

Now the issue I have now is on the overrun it stays about (30) maybe (40) which means either the guage lies (doubt it) or something is not freewheeling any more on the overrun like it used too.

The car feels like its still running with engine braking on the overrun - which means the trans is either not doing what it should OR is not being told what to do when it should.

So whats the best route? It's DME is 1.3M so I dont have the light to do a code test but the OBC thinks everything is ok. And nothing looks amiss!

Trans changes otherwise are fine and it drives like it always has.

Some help here would be usefull !!

Anyone with a 530/535iA can you confirm thats what you see when driving with the dash MPG guage and on the overrun, like down a hill in D or just slowing down in D from say 60-70kph.

Thanks!

Steve

I get the same thing in my 535ia. Would be interested to know if theres something wrong

What happens if you manually shift and have over run at lower speeds in different gears? Since this is electric, my guess is that you need to clean some corroded something somewhere.

1990 535im 421,000 miles, 1987 325is, 1989 325is, 1990 m3, 1991 318is, 2001 X5 3.0

70 kph is about 43 mph if my calcs are correct. The torque converter locks up at or above 50 mph. If you're going downhill above 50 mph, you should be maxing out the consumption meter in under the tach. If you're going downhill at a speed less than 50 mph, the torque converter is not locked and you're not getting the full effect of engine braking. Therefore your consumption meter will not be maxed out.I think what you're seeing is perfectly normal. My car has done it for as long as I've owned it and no issues whatsoever. HTH