GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Left front window explodes

Default Left front window explodes

Went to close the door with the window half way down and noticed it did not want to close all the way. Thought at first the seat belt was caught in the door frame. When I pushed the door shut the window exploded into a million pieces. On inspection I discovered that the bracket that keeps the door from opening to far seems to have broken and now hits the front window guide. Buggered the guide up pretty good. Looks like I will need to replace the bracket, guide and the window now. Has this happened to anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Went to close the door with the window half way down and noticed it did not want to close all the way. Thought at first the seat belt was caught in the door frame. When I pushed the door shut the window exploded into a million pieces. On inspection I discovered that the bracket that keeps the door from opening to far seems to have broken and now hits the front window guide. Buggered the guide up pretty good. Looks like I will need to replace the bracket, guide and the window now. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Yup...just happened to me. Luckily, it was winter, otherwise my glass would have exploded too! As it was, it just would not roll down very far.

Get a replacement front window track. Mine was about $22.00 from the dealer! A deal, I thought. It's a little tricky to install, with the bottom mounting screw that could accidently fall into the door cavity...extract it and re-install it carefully. Remove the rubber hole plug to gain access. (I think I used a bit of duct tape to secure it to the driver bit.) The top of it just tabs into a slot, but it's a blind operation that has to be done by feel. Maybe it will be easier if you do it without the glass in place. Make sure the glass rides properly in the weathering grooves...i had to mess with that a bit too.

As for the door brake, I just left it out since it ripped away the surrounding metal. Could weld in a new patch I suppose, but I can live with it. Good luck!!
    Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI
    1995 525iT

Good idea to replace the door brake and install reinforcing plates from Koala Motorsports.

Kind of expensive for a couple of small plates. I will make them out in my shop. Thanks for the heads up.