GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Upper radiator Hose split. What could cause it?

Default New Upper radiator Hose split. What could cause it?

I just found the Upper Coolant Hose has breached at the Water Pump. Its dripping coolant. It was replaced with the water pump last week. There is evidence it bulged at the WP Neck.. What is going onhere? I had the coolant level sensor come on Friday more than a week after getting it back from the work. Wouldn't any air pockets from the refilling have been bled out by the system by then with nearly a thousand miles driven? For what its worth I did not even approach Red Line at any time.

I may have been leaking coolant from this split since the first warning message Friday but I didn't smell it till Saturday night and didn't find this split hose till just now.. I'll go snap a pic brb

Pertinent fact; New Radiator, W Pump ,T-Stat,Al Housing,Hoses,Belts,VC Gaskets,Upper TC Cover Gaskets,Intake man gaskets,Intake man cover and gasket, ,plugs,coil boots, Oil filter housing feed line O rings,oil filter,oil and Coolant. Looks like a new fan clutch too now that I look but anyway.. Pics;

Also see a short Video if your Media Player handles .MOV extention files

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/hose007.mov
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

"1995 BMW 540 6sp 270,475 Prod. date 1994-12-13"

just a guess though!

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    "1995 BMW 540 6sp 270,475 Prod. date 1994-12-13"

just a guess though!

sorry i am an idiot I didnt see the new part!

haha

I would say maybe not fitting properly when tightening...

what happened to the old hose? same problem?
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    sorry i am an idiot I didnt see the new part!

haha

I would say maybe not fitting properly when tightening...

what happened to the old hose? same problem?

There was no problem with the old hose it was replaced with the new water pump and radiator. The old radiator's upper hose neck was cracked so it was replaced. The water pump was done as preventative maintainance when the timing chain cover gaskets were done thuis the new hose and belts..

It looks like the clamp damaged the hose. This can happen with hose clamps if they're not installed squarely on the hose or tightened excessively.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    It looks like the clamp damaged the hose. This can happen with hose clamps if they're not installed squarely on the hose or tightened excessively.

I had considered that it may have cut into the hose allowing it to rupture. Is that bulging not unusual though? Seems like a back up would have to have occured to bow it out like that ,no?

That bulging does look a bit abnormal. Has the radiator been checked for blockages? Have you changed the expansion tank cap? I don't think a blockage downstream from the pump would really cause that bulge. The most common symptom of blocked parts in the cooling system is overheating. Blowing hoses/blowing them up like balloons is something that is most commonly caused by overpressure. In that case, the tank cap is the first suspect. Also, inspect any new hoses before installing them. Sometimes you get a dud even with new parts.

I feel your pain... Really annoying when the hoses go.

What parts did you use? I got all mine from the stealer - expensive but they've been brilliant, no problems.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

I had an Independant BMW shop do all the work. Since posting I relooked over the Recept and there is no Hose listed so It it most likely the old hose.. but that still doesn't explain why the bulge/ backup.. The Radiator was new.. I wasn't there when they installed it but he is a former BMW Dealership tech who is highly spoken of in the NH area so while I do fault him for re-using the old hose when I know I stated new hoses should be installed the new parts wouldn't be my first suspect..

What happens with the Expansion tank cap Are you sure you 're thinking of the 95 series type at the rear of the engine bay? The tank has an overflow spout and hose which are not blocked so what is the caps function that it could cause a problem with over pressurization?

Dont think you have a pressure problem at all. It looks like the integrity of the hose has been destroyed as the cord reinforcement is broken. The hose will balloon just like a kerbed tyre. Probably caused by enthusiastic removal but a new one probably wouldnt have failed. Assume you have a new hose on by now - how's that holding up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast