Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 5HP18 (A5S310Z) strip down

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oldham, England
    Posts
    3,074

    Default 5HP18 (A5S310Z) strip down

    I've just moved house. Still dont have a garage but I've got a shed! I've kept my old tranny because I wanted to take it apart and find out what failed. I dont have the valve body manual but you can drop that without taking the tranny out anyway. I do have the workshop manual from ZF but it doesnt cover the VB. This may not be of interest to guys in the US as I think this tranny was only fitted to the 530 and M3. I dont want to bore everybody with another auto tranny thread but if anybody is interested I will make notes and take pics

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago, Il. U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,243

    Default

    I'm always interested in a post mortem diagnosis. Haven't broken anything for a while myself. (knocks on head)
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oldham, England
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    BMW forgot to tell me they were closed for stock-taking today so I couldnt get the microfilter. Finished dismantling the tranny instead. Hadnt found anything wrong so far and the 3 machine screws that hold in the D/G clutches were proving akward. Once out all was clear - the spring ring in the D/G had disintegrated and 'shaved' the castellations off the top of the F clutch. Chunks were also embedded in between the clutch plates. Plates in the F clutch seemed a bit loose apart from that the tranny is fine....


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Wow that looks scary! Was it still working when you took it out, or totally daffied?
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

    What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oldham, England
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    Wow that looks scary! Was it still working when you took it out, or totally daffied?
    Car would move but thats about it. All the clutch packs fit in a line like a tube of rolos. You just take the valve body off from underneath (only the screws with the larger head or it falls into bits). Then undo the bolts inside the bell housing and they all pull out. The back end just bolts on.
    I'd say it would be an easy job to refurb with the big BUT that you have to get the clearances bang on for each clutch pack or I think you may end up with a picture like mine
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 06-06-2009 at 12:55 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee USi
    Posts
    14,650

    Default

    if I was younger and saw that example I would say neutral slam... yuk what a mess.
    95 E34 530I V2.17
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

    John F. Kennedy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Nice... real interested in this. Are you going to rebuld her? A kit is not very much, but (I hear) the procedure is well documented in the manual. Have you read Bill Rs famous dissection of the 4HP22EH?

    This is of interest to anyone outside the US as the GM trannies were not used in euro cars so much. 5HP18s are very common in the euro 525, 530 and 540s in Europe, Japan and Australia.

    I've never even seen a GM tranny here in Oz.

    and I wish I could find one, I have a filter kit for one I need to offload...

    What we really need is a decent how-to to go with the ZF manual, so people would be encouraged to rebuild these trannys instead of scrapping the car... the trannys mst be a decent project for any shade-tree mechanic that with med-good ability. (which is why I haven't done one yet )

    Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

    08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oldham, England
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Nice... real interested in this. Are you going to rebuld her? A kit is not very much, but (I hear) the procedure is well documented in the manual. Have you read Bill Rs famous dissection of the 4HP22EH?

    This is of interest to anyone outside the US as the GM trannies were not used in euro cars so much. 5HP18s are very common in the euro 525, 530 and 540s in Europe, Japan and Australia.

    I've never even seen a GM tranny here in Oz.

    and I wish I could find one, I have a filter kit for one I need to offload...

    What we really need is a decent how-to to go with the ZF manual, so people would be encouraged to rebuild these trannys instead of scrapping the car... the trannys mst be a decent project for any shade-tree mechanic that with med-good ability. (which is why I haven't done one yet )
    I dont plan to rebuild it - I just wanted to find out what happened to it. That may change if the one thats in now (my second change!) gives up on me. The ZF manual is good but there is a seperate one for all the 5HP valve bodies and thats serious money. Tool wise you could probably get away with some sort of press and a dial gauge for the clutch packs though the manual lists a lot more. Will post some more pics and a fuller description of the disassembly if anyone is interested
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 06-07-2009 at 07:55 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    I dont plan to rebuild it - I just wanted to find out what happened to it. That may change if the one thats in now (my second change!) gives up on me. The ZF manual is good but there is a seperate one for all the 5HP valve bodies and thats serious money. Tool wise you could probably get away with some sort of press and a dial gauge for the clutch packs though the manual lists a lot more. Will post some more pics and a fuller description of the disassembly if anyone is interested
    <subscribed>

    I udnerstand that the main problem on high mileage/old ZFs is that the valve body gets fouled, making it feel really sloppy.

    Once removed, compressed air through some parts of the valve body can blow out deposits and allow the box to change like new- going from a slushbox in slothmode to 'sweet'n'smooth' powerhouse again.

    Would be good if someone with a rebuild manual could post it somewhere so we can all have a read. I've got a 4HP22EH to do soon, would like to know what to do with it valve bodywise at least. I know the A-clutches and shaft bushes will need to be replaced, but have no idea what to do witht the valve body.

    Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

    08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oldham, England
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    You can get hold of a valve body kit like this for the 5HP18:
    http://www.tsgparts.net/index.php?p=...d=94&parent=39
    So I imagine you can get one for the 4HP22 too.
    The 5HP18 manual is on cd but I wouldnt have an idea where/how to post it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone ever strip wheels?
    By Jon K in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 10:17 PM
  2. A5s310z Speed Sensor?
    By Spasso in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 02:48 PM
  3. Replacing E36 auto trans lifetimefluid for A5S310Z
    By BigKriss in forum 3 Series BMW
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 06:01 AM
  4. Replacing E36 auto trans fluid for A5S310Z
    By BigKriss in forum 3 Series BMW
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 03:20 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •