GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel Flex Plate

Default Flywheel Flex Plate

hey fellas

Does anyone know what a cracked flex plate would sound like. I had the auto transmission rebuilt and they replaced the TC with a rebuilt/new one so that should be fine. I hear this ticking noise from there and it only ever happens when i idle. When im driving theres no noise.

Im sure the noise isnt an exhaust leak (checked everywhere), i had my valves adjusted (2,000kms ago), i have new penrite HPR30 oil in there which is nice and thick.

Im positive that the noise is coming from the the TC area because i used a garden pipe to listen around and the noise comes loudest from the peak hole.

Ive searched on around and no one has had the same issue.

Heres a video of the noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1Z9tbKdxA
    Last edited by ArnZ!; 04-07-2009 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnZ! View Post
    hey fellas

Does anyone know what a cracked flex plate would sound like. I had the auto transmission rebuilt and they replaced the TC with a rebuilt/new one so that should be fine. I hear this ticking noise from there and it only ever happens when i idle. When im driving theres no noise.

Im sure the noise isnt an exhaust leak (checked everywhere), i had my valves adjusted (2,000kms ago), i have new penrite HPR30 oil in there which is nice and thick.

Im positive that the noise is coming from the the TC area because i used a garden pipe to listen around and the noise comes loudest from the peak hole.

I'm guessing you have HPR30 in the engine. The gearbox oil would be Dexron III and I wouldnt say thats thick. I doubt the flex plate is cracked, but if it were, wouldnt it make the noise all the time? There was a post on here about a clicking caused by loose engine to transmission bolts. I'd be tempted to give them a quick check. Maybe the TC to flex plate bolts too. If that didnt turn up anything I'd be round to the shop that did the work PDQ

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    I'm guessing you have HPR30 in the engine. The gearbox oil would be Dexron III and I wouldnt say thats thick. I doubt the flex plate is cracked, but if it were, wouldnt it make the noise all the time? There was a post on here about a clicking caused by loose engine to transmission bolts. I'd be tempted to give them a quick check. Maybe the TC to flex plate bolts too. If that didnt turn up anything I'd be round to the shop that did the work PDQ
    HPR30 oil in the engine. and yes the autobox oil is dexron 3

Tomoz im gonna go see if those bolts are tight.

Here's the thread I meant. Knew it was around somewhere:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11568

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Here's the thread I meant. Knew it was around somewhere:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11568
    thanks for that

i tried to find it before to no avail.

i doubt that is my problem because it certainly looks to be mated well with the engine. plus my problem only happens when upto operating temp.

I've broken many MANY flexplates on various 4x4's and a few cars. Basically the sound of one of those going is strikingly similar to the sound of a thrown rod bearing. Very loud, very deep, ALWAYS knocking, and speeds up with engine speed. Generally they crack right around the base where the flexplate meets the crank. Most manufacturers press the flange out a little bit and that edge is where the weak-spot is. You'll know when you break it too!

You'll be moving forward then all of a sudden you've got the worlds most responsive throttle and you can rev the motor from 1k-6k almost instantly every time you press the pedal since the motor is no longer dragged down by the rest of the drivetrain and you slowly coast to a stop >_<

Quote Originally Posted by ArnZ! View Post
    hey fellas

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

Doesn't sound like a flex plate but it is coming from the area. Take a peek in there, should be obvious if something is loose or cracked. Sounds like it only makes the noise during deccelerating opposed to putting a load on it. no clue whats up with the underline thing
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

the shop forgot to torque down the TC bolts.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 04-07-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob View Post
    the shop forgot to torque down the TC bolts.
    I'd guess that as well.

I've had TC bolts come loose and the sound was intermittant like yours is. I've also cracked a flex plate at the TC bolt holes before and recall it being more of a constant noise than a loose TC bolt.

Is there anyway to look at the flex plate w/out dropping your tranny? I know it's plenty easy to inspect the flex plate & TC on my '79 C20. But that's a bit different than a 535. Haven't bothered to take a look at that yet on my M-Sport, but I'm sure it's not like a 535 either.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Yeah theres are peak hole in the oil pan of the m30, take the plastic cover off and you then have access to the bolts.

Going to double check them now actually, ill report back later.
    Last edited by ArnZ!; 04-07-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast