GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: factory amp bypass (my way - lots of pics)

Me? Wrong? Nah. It's the PCB that's wrong . It's at a junction point between two PCBs, and the other one says like you do.

Can't say I particularily care about fade. Right now I just want the music back.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    Yikes! That is different.

Yeah, try a 94 ... oi!

Little choice but to ‘build’ yer own crossover here..
    Unlike the earlier setups, they’re active and integrated.
    *sigh*
    I’ve got caps on a ‘board’ to keep the lows off the tweeters, but that’s it.

Still, with only a nice Clarion HU driving ‘Helga’s’ stock speakers ... it sounds pretty sweet.

Hang up & Drive!
    94 BMW 530iT&A 145K, ‘Helga’ ( Shleppen Schnell mit “Musique ... nonstop” *dances* )
    92 BMW 325i 165K, ‘Rolf’ ( Euro vision equipped, ghetto Naka install *woot* )
    93 Datsun NX2000 190K ‘Carla’ ( Uber heated seat & rust holes *shakes head* )
    85 Toyo MR2 140K ‘Jerry’ ( Showcar/track toy, killer mpg, way more fun than a prius *grin* )

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Oh here’s the 1st thread on Helga’s setup
    The Clarion HUs do a killer bmw amber
    *grin*

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39362

Hang up & Drive!

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty,
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."

– Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by paul p (chi-town) View Post
    [color=indigo]
    Oh here’s the 1st thread on Helga’s setup
    The Clarion HUs do a killer bmw amber
    *grin*
    Nice to see what the pros run, thanks for posting your setups guys. Yeah so far I've dished out around $30 now that I bought some goop for the speaker. I've used that goop stuff before, it is serious, will come in handy.

Looks great! My h/u certainly doesn't match but it looks decent anyway I think. Not bling at least and it says hello and goodbye It, a sub amp and the ashtray are the only remnants I have of my old dodge van. Used to sound A1+++ in there, soon it will be restored to its former glory! (the stereo not the van)

Quote Originally Posted by paul p (chi-town) View Post
    Yeah, try a 94 ... oi!

Little choice but to ‘build’ yer own crossover here..
    Unlike the earlier setups, they’re active and integrated.
    *sigh*
    I’ve got caps on a ‘board’ to keep the lows off the tweeters, but that’s it.
    ouch tough task - these would work well for the rears i think and are cheap but i didn't find anything for the fronts while i was looking. altho if yer happy why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    Can't say I particularily care about fade. Right now I just want the music back.
    I know how you feel I was going nuts even though it was only a week! You won't be content with the sound... fade is nice to have but it is easy to run new wires another time - want those 2 splice cables I made? They fit the plugs perfect - you can have them if you want.
    Last edited by tim eh?; 04-06-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Well, I've seen how the negatives are wired. B4 and B10 get divided up between all 4 negatives back at the HU.

Before any negatives get onto those two terminals (B4 and B10), however, they go through a series of capacitors and a couple of resistors, which means that perhaps this sorts out the fade. It would be interesting to examine your PCBs if you still have them Tim. I'll perhaps try to figure out my own negative circuit.

First up, I'm close to completing my build and installing it by just splicing the negatives back to the front as is.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 04-09-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Well, whaddya know. It all works just fine, including fade and balance. I just have to kill the bass a bit, and treble too, and it all sounds very nice indeed. It does lack in the bass department, but that's already well known.

What I saw at Addison is a deal for 200$ for a 12 inch woofer speaker, including a 300W RMS amplifier, all Kenwood. Not bad I should think.

Well, whaddya know. It all works just fine, including fade and balance. I just have to kill the bass a bit, and treble too, and it all sounds very nice indeed. It does lack in the bass department, but that's already well known.

What I saw at Addison is a deal for 200$ for a 12 inch woofer speaker, including a 300W RMS amplifier, all Kenwood. Not bad I should think.
    Cool! Congrats! Wish that had worked for me.

You certainly don't need any more than that addison package imo. Sub come in a box? You need an enclosure... that is the trick. I'm going nuts trying to figure out a box. It's a lot more power than I am going to put in myself anyway.

You can have my old pcb if you want it for research, i think i voided the warrantee on the amp -->

topside

underneath

if that's too easy you can try the eq ... soon to be scavenged for aesthetics!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by tim eh?; 04-10-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks again for this post! I think the same as you for the sub. I'd rather go for something more subtle, like a 10 inch, or lower if that exists. I also saw a 10 inch at $130. There's so much stuff...

Right now I don't know what I'm talking about, so I don't know how much power would be enough. Likely less than 100W. Until I do more research and shopping...

I'll post up some pics of my build in a new thread later.

Cheers!

Thanks again for this post! I think the same as you for the sub. I'd rather go for something more subtle, like a 10 inch, or lower if that exists. I also saw a 10 inch at $130. There's so much stuff...

Right now I don't know what I'm talking about, so I don't know how much power would be enough. Likely less than 100W. Until I do more research and shopping...

I'll post up some pics of my build in a new thread later.

Cheers!
    Happy to help - finally something I actually know a little bit about!

I already have my sub stuff I just have to decide where to put it. It is going to be very modest - a single 8" vifa home theatre woofer and a 200W amp. Kind of overkill on the amp but it is powering an 8 ohm speaker so it will really be running around 100... will draw less amps is a plus.

Won't kill the neighbours dog but I'll be able to listen to maiden at required loudness levels...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456