GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Sound on M20

Default Horrible Sound on M20

Hey guys

I started the car fine. moved it outside for a hand wash. opened the hood and the valve cover. watched the valve clearance. no more clearance at the 6th exhaust valve. it is stuck and hard. seat valve need to redone. want to drive to the shop who repairs engines but when i start the car again I have this sound which i never had before even though my valve was already without clearance. this car won't move anymore and I will bring the cylinder head without showing them the head when still in the car.

but still curious to understand what makes this whining noise. thx for any input. it sounds like a belt but at the same time it comes from the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpuCKYhUn0M

Water pump? Tensioner? Remove the belts and start the engine. If the noise goes away, its some component attached to the belt. If it stays, its engine-related.

Sounds like a bearing 'picking up'-you can get that sort of squealing noise if the outer race of the bearing is turning in the housing instead of staying put.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    Water pump? Tensioner? Remove the belts and start the engine. If the noise goes away, its some component attached to the belt. If it stays, its engine-related.
    i did it. and still the noise

it is engine related ... or maybe I thought an air leak lol? you know if the exhaust valve is broken or not fully seated you would have air going through a small opening...

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Sounds like a bearing 'picking up'-you can get that sort of squealing noise if the outer race of the bearing is turning in the housing instead of staying put.
    sorry I don't follow you. which bearing are you talking about? Is there a rationale for it going bad after a hand wash of the car and my valve train problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    sorry I don't follow you. which bearing are you talking about? Is there a rationale for it going bad after a hand wash of the car and my valve train problem?
    My first thought was cam bearing because of the problems you have had though of course they dont have any shells that could move. It could also be the belt tensioner or rollers. Noise is a hell of a job to nail down, especially by remote:-)

That sounds vile. Did you check all the rocker clearances then? Is the oil spraybar working? Sounds like it's going to granade if you run it much longer.

Regards,

Shaun M

Do you have a really long screw driver or rod?

Find one or get a mechanic's stethoscope (even cheapo ones are good to have)

Poke around the motor to locate the noise, just rest the tip of the screw driver or rod against the suspect part and press it to your ear. It will become very apparent what is failing.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Eyuuuk!

Pull the valve cover off, from the sound of it something will be pretty obviously fubarred. The sound does seem to be the mid to rear area of the head. If you had a bent valve you would have excess clearance not zero clearance. Sounds like somethings starving for oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    Hey guys

I started the car fine. moved it outside for a hand wash. opened the hood and the valve cover. watched the valve clearance. no more clearance at the 6th exhaust valve. it is stuck and hard. seat valve need to redone. want to drive to the shop who repairs engines but when i start the car again I have this sound which i never had before even though my valve was already without clearance. this car won't move anymore and I will bring the cylinder head without showing them the head when still in the car.

but still curious to understand what makes this whining noise. thx for any input. it sounds like a belt but at the same time it comes from the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpuCKYhUn0M
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Eyuuuk!

Pull the valve cover off, from the sound of it something will be pretty obviously fubarred. The sound does seem to be the mid to rear area of the head. If you had a bent valve you would have excess clearance not zero clearance. Sounds like somethings starving for oil.
    @blitz. i did use a stetoscope and man the noise was so loud and strident it didn't make any difference.

i did pull the cover off afterwards and everything seemed 'normal'
    starving for oil yea. this scares me everytime I open the cover off that something falls in the oil passage. I'm 99% positive nothing fell. But for the sake of the exercise. what would happen if a nut/a bee/ a twig, fall into one of the oil passage. what happen next? will it be pumped by the oil pump to the oil filter and then the the cylinder head passages?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast