GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Door lock cylinder recode..

Default Door lock cylinder recode..

Just want to know if its possible to recode a new (used) lock with the wafers from the old one so that it fits the key to the car?

A simple yes or no is sufficient!

I bought 4 new used schwarz II rustfree doors (everything included) for nothing and I´m eager to get rid of the rusty old ones!
    Last edited by Bo525i; 03-20-2009 at 05:49 PM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Do a search on Bimmerforums, or you can even Google it and the specific thread should show up. My computer says that the search database is down, maybe you'll have some luck.

Search for "E34 Broken Door Handle Repair"

You are looking for the result of "Door Handle Repair in a Million Easy Steps" it's a very detailed photographic procedure by "Red Five", who used to be on this board long ago.

Anyway, you have to remove the lock cylinder to replace the handle, what you need to do is simply swap the cylinder into the new door. There's a trick about keeping the key in the cylinder when you take it loose from the mechanisims or else the wafers and springs go flying everywhere. Find the post and study it. Wish I could link you to it, but I'm unable. Since you will have 2 doors to practice on, (you have to take it apart anyway) you'll be experienced enough to switch the lock cylinders with no problem. Just remember it's labor intensive, but you'll be fine following the procedure. Just allow plenty of time and patience.

When you get done, have the old handles engraved with "BMW Motorsport" and send them to me...=)

Good luck,
    JR

Yes, done that to my whole car. Dealer does sell kit for whole set of new key, but if you do so, you are responsible for the key codes as it will NOT match the VIN.

Easier way around this is simply take yours out and stick it in the new doors.

Problem is that on my old doors the cylinder door, the little flap that protects the locks interior is missing.. Thats why I´d like to swap the wafers, thanks for your input!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Oh and btw. I found the "Red five" page plus one from Johan & Sean, so now I have something to work with!

Maybe this would help: http://www.pbase.com/rodneff/keying_bmw_locks
    Its not specific to the e34, but it explains how the lock barrel works and how its keyed. Best of luck

Then just buy a replacement cylinder from dealer.

Then just buy a replacement cylinder from dealer.
    Tried, you can´t buy them coded

Tried, you can´t buy them coded
    Based on what I've seen online, there are only 4 or 5 types of wafers in the lock. Considering the fact that you have four at your disposal, you should be able to mix and match the wafers into the correct combination if you choose to re-key the tumblers. Again, based on the pictures of the tumblers, if you can remove it you can re-key it. Just be sure to work in a large ziplock bag to avoid losing parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    Just be sure to work in a large ziplock bag to avoid losing parts.
    I have feeling that thats a very good idea!