GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damaged Thermometer??

Default Damaged Air Temp Sensor

Hi yall,

I noticed that the temp sensor on my air box is broken. However when I looked in realoem, it doesnt seem to exist for my model. would anyone have the part number for it so I can order one. could this also contribute to a jerky idle??

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dreman77; 03-18-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreman77 View Post
    Hi yall,

I noticed that the temp sensor on my air box is broken. However when I looked in realoem, it doesnt seem to exist for my model. would anyone have the part number for it so I can order one. could this also contribute to a jerky idle??

thanks
    In addition, it was cold today and the car took forever to start. Even after continuous cranking. It couldnt even maintain idle and kept dying. Could someone please shed some light on this.....

thanks

p.s- just let the car sit for 10 mins and now it totally wont start at all. tried disconnecting the AFM and still wont start. I really dont know what the problem is. It started fine yesterday when it was warmer and I drove it for about 10 mins and then came back and shut it off.
    Last edited by dreman77; 03-18-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Check out item 10 here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...23&hg=11&fg=35
    Poor idle may be down to the idle control valve. It goes against the grain to say it, but if it wont start, put your foot to the floor and turn the key. Dont flatten the battery or you will have something else to sort out

You either have a dead CPS or a massive vacuum leak or dicky injectors or lack of fuel pressure or crappy ignition. Time to start eliminating causes.

The sensor you're showing is a very simple thermostat that regulates whether or not to send coolant through the throttle body on the intake. It generally doesn't serve a purpose unless you live in a really cold climate and definitely doesn't do anything for cold starts. It only prevents the intake from icing over in extremely low temperatures and can only do anything as soon as the car is warmed up.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

As dr. House would like it: it's best to have an accurate patient history.
    What problem started first and when? How long have you had the car?
    What was normal idle RPM? Was idle bobbing up and down gently or really fast like an asthmatic panting?
    What's the smell and color of the exhaust fumes?
    How long would it normally take to warm up to centre?
    Etc. Etc.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenster View Post
    As dr. House would like it: it's best to have an accurate patient history.
    What problem started first and when? How long have you had the car?
    What was normal idle RPM? Was idle bobbing up and down gently or really fast like an asthmatic panting?
    What's the smell and color of the exhaust fumes?
    How long would it normally take to warm up to centre?
    Etc. Etc.
    Hi Morgenster,

ok..here goes.....

I bought the car 3 weeks ago. When I was test driving it, it started on the first time. The car was cold at that point in time. I took the car home and drove it normally the next few days. Then on my way home after about 25km or so, the car started jerking and would die at idle. I managed to crawl back. After posting the issue here, i removed the ICV and cleaned. I checked all the hoses but found no cracks that were all the way through. I then put sealant on the surface cracks that I found.

I drove for about 2 more more days and then one day the car started to jerk violently again while i was on the expressway after about 20 over km journey. I had it towed back to my house and I found that the connector that goes into the intake manifold from the ICV was loose. So I replaced the o-ring there. I did this in the afternoon and it fired right up and idling is at around the 600 - 700 mark. I drove it yesterday in the afternoon as well and it was alright.

I didnt drive it today till I got back from work. It was not very cold but much cooler than the past few days as we enter autumn. It would not crank until many cranks later. It went up to about 100 rpm and then started behaving like an asthmatic. I left alone for about 10 mins and tried again. Now there is cranking but it will not fire up. Even with the pedal to the metal while cranking does not help.

I am not blowing any color smoke and the smell smells just like my other car which is running fine.

I really do not know what to do. I really feel cheated in buying such a lemon of a car....

Know the age & condition of the battery?
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Know the age & condition of the battery?
    battery looks fairly new. no corrosion on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by dreman77 View Post
    battery looks fairly new. no corrosion on the top.
    Doesn't have to be new to be lacking corrosion. There's no date code or date of purchase on it? Anyways, I wouldn't rule out a bad/going bad battery.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

hi bubba,

So you think a battery going bad would give me the problems i have been going through?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast