GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E34/535 No start

Default E34/535 No start

Ok...i have installed a fuel check valve based on the car being hard to start only when cold and also the fuel regulator.... still nuttin. Any advice out there? am I lookin at a pump?

Thanks in advance

dablack
    92-535

You might be looking at a leaking injector (or several). Have you checked your fuel pressure? The engine should still start even with low fuel pressure (mine started with about 30 psi and ran too). The best way to diagnose this problem is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge via a T connection in the feed line close to the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    You might be looking at a leaking injector (or several). Have you checked your fuel pressure? The engine should still start even with low fuel pressure (mine started with about 30 psi and ran too). The best way to diagnose this problem is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge via a T connection in the feed line close to the engine.
    no i dont have a gauge.....is an injector thats faulty give that kind of problem hard to start in cold etc...

dablack
    92-535

A faulty injector can leak when the engine is off and let down the pressure. This could lead to a delayed start later as well as some black smoke from having the engine flooded with fuel.

A faulty injector can leak when the engine is off and let down the pressure. This could lead to a delayed start later as well as some black smoke from having the engine flooded with fuel.

Rus, thank for your help by the way much appreciated. There was no black smoke...im miffed...

dablack
    92-535

Could be the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay

Coolant temp sensor? Though mine have failed in a way that calls a hot engine cold, rather than a cold one hot...Either way, it's a quick check with a multimeter.

DABLACK,

I don't know where you're located, but if you have something similar to Advance Autoparts in your area, you can pick up one of these babies: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._T|GRP2018____

I got mine when I was having fuel issues and then picked up a t-connector at home depot. Its an easy to use setup because all you need to do is take off the feed line, attach the one end of the T to the feed hose, another to the gauge, and the third to a short piece of fuel tubing leading to the injector rail. After that you can monitor fuel pressure at any time.

Could you describe the issue in a little more detail please? Does this occur after the car sits for a certain amount of time? Does the behavior change with engine temperature? Ambient temperature? I experienced hard starts in my car for a while and eventually replaced the fuel pump, installed a check valve, replaced all injectors and also the FPR. Now the issue is nonexistent. My car would be hard to start after it sat for a long time or was parked facing up an incline. The condition was independent of engine or ambient temperatures.

DABLACK,

I don't know where you're located, but if you have something similar to Advance Autoparts in your area, you can pick up one of these babies: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._T|GRP2018____

I got mine when I was having fuel issues and then picked up a t-connector at home depot. Its an easy to use setup because all you need to do is take off the feed line, attach the one end of the T to the feed hose, another to the gauge, and the third to a short piece of fuel tubing leading to the injector rail. After that you can monitor fuel pressure at any time.

Could you describe the issue in a little more detail please? Does this occur after the car sits for a certain amount of time? Does the behavior change with engine temperature? Ambient temperature? I experienced hard starts in my car for a while and eventually replaced the fuel pump, installed a check valve, replaced all injectors and also the FPR. Now the issue is nonexistent. My car would be hard to start after it sat for a long time or was parked facing up an incline. The condition was independent of engine or ambient temperatures.

Well Rus I noticed when the temp dropped here in Toronto,(now you know where im at) a few times in the morning it was getting hard to start... long cranking to be excact. And getting worse. But when the car finally started and got up to running temp and if i shut it off re start was no prob. I get to work 10hrs later sitting in the cold hard to start. After investigating I came up with the check valve resoulution ordered it and installed it. Tried to start it the battery had died trying.... got a new one and now it wont start. I proceeded to then install a regulator... same result
    So Rus here I am now driving the wife's E46 to work and getting questioned every day now if I drove the speed limit in her car.

dablack
    92-535

Do you have wet plugs?
    Do you have spark?

1990 535im 421,000 miles, 1987 325is, 1989 325is, 1990 m3, 1991 318is, 2001 X5 3.0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast