GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: specifications for speakers?

Default specifications for speakers?

the short: I need specs (Watts and ohms) on the factory speakers so as I can make crossovers.

the long: I decided to finally do the factory amp bypass.

So I did the soldering but I must have botched it somewhere. Looks ...errr... ok .... i think ... (black is + here btw!!!!!)

So anyway there is something badass going on when I turn the head unit on... definitely a bad circuit as the HU keeps turning itself on and off and there is a nasty click in the speakers.

HU works perfect if I disconnect the speakers... so I hooked up a spare pair and the HU works fine with those and it indicates that my wiring is good (I am connecting the +s at the amp plug and I ran new -s from the HU to the trunk which took forfrigginever).

I have taken the amp apart and resoldered with the same result. No blown fuses, no evidence of a burnout in the amp.

SO, I'd like to make external crossovers for the existing speakers... I don't want to replace all the speakers (yet). I haven't done this before but I understand the circuitry, I think I just need the numbers (Watts and ohms) from the factory speakers but I'll take whatever pointers anyone has... any help?

edit: btw the HU is a 4x40W JVC... worked perfect running through amp.

edit: found this - rear speakers low= 40W/4ohms tweeter= 40W/8ohms

edit: It is occurring to me that the trouble may be with the speaker grounds as it is an active crossover with shared grounds... i think...
    am i talking to myself? i think i am... tbc...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tim eh?; 03-16-2009 at 07:40 PM.

If the HU keeps turning itself on and off then I wonder if maybe some mis-wiring is upsetting the amp which then turns the HU on and off. Given that the HU works perfectly if you disconnect the speakers, I'd maybe try connecting the tweeters and woofers etc one at a time until you can work out exactly what is causing the problem.

Unless I'm mis-understanding you, I think you're under-estimating the complexity of a cross-over. The watts and ohms of the factory speakers are almost irrelevant to the cross-over (OK, it'll effect the power rating but not the values of the cross-over components). What does matter is the frequency at which the woofer and tweeter (and mid-range?) need to be crossed over, which will determine the values of the inductors and capacitors.

I see from your edit that there is possibly something to do with shared grounds and I reckon that your time would probably be better spent investigating this rather than trying to make a cross-over from scratch. (I have built amplifiers, loudspeakers and CD players in the past and I would always try to avoid re-building a cross-over from scratch.)

Anyway, good luck. Let me know if you have any queries.

Thanks - I think you are right, I will restore factory grounds first and see...

I was doing some reading here... I guess it's just impedance you need not watts.

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/XOver/

the parts list calculator is neat.

Attached Images Attached Images   

ok so there is no change... bummer.
    but at least it works if I don't run the speakers through the amp at all... must fix...

im interested also about what ohms the speakers are.

Cuz atm im only using two channels from my 4 channel HU. But all the speakers run off it.... Ive also done the amp bypasss succesfully. Thing is that i want to full utilise the 4 channel power.

I measured the resistance with a multimeter through the amp plug. Results...

Rear Woofer = 4.0 ohms
    Rear Tweeter = 6.5

Front woofer =4.0 ohms
    Front MR = 4.7
    Front tweeter = 6.6

tbc...

are u able to measure the ohms needed to go into the amp box (by amp box i mean cross over box after gutting the amp)

Quote Originally Posted by ArnZ! View Post
    are u able to measure the ohms needed to go into the amp box (by amp box i mean cross over box after gutting the amp)
    i'm afraid i can't, that is the part that is busted.

Just curious Tim. Why not use the factory crossovers with the factory speakers?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Just curious Tim. Why not use the factory crossovers with the factory speakers?
    That's what I tried to do, but I screwed something up. Actually I took the amp in to a pro yesterday, it would solve a lot if it was just my lousy soldering and he could do it properly for me, that would be so sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast