GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bypass aux water pump- anyone have pics?

Default Bypass aux water pump- anyone have pics?

Hi guys. Over the weekend my aux water pump went out ('93 525 M50 vanos engine) and apparently the heater valve as well (I hear that often causes the pump to go south.) I usually use a shop an hour away in Richmond VA who I trust, but had to get it to the nearest shop here in Charlottesville.

The shop it's at wants 690 for the job....seems way high. My shop in R'mond wants 520...much better. The thing is, the tow alone eats up the savings.

I am thinking of bypassing it as I hear that works fine, but can't find very detailed instructions. Anyone have very detailed instructions? Ideally I'd love pics. As far as I can tell (from my roadside at a glance in the rain when this happened) is that there are 3 coolant hoses below the pump...not sure which to splice together.

Thanks!

Eric

Why are you paying someone $400 to remove two clamps and an electrical plug to replace your aux electric water pump? It is so easy to change yourself.

Um, that's what I am trying to avoid.

As it stands now the car is stranded at the shop, so that's the pickle I am in. I am trying to get some detailed instructions on how to do a bypass (for now) and then I'll do the job myself later.

Thanks though.

There is only two hoses... and you can pick up a splice connector at any auto parts store... pull the two hoses together into the splice and clamp it down.

Does the heater valve usually crap out w/ it? This shop is saying that's toast, which adds another 200 or so making my total 690...

Thanks!

Thanks fella- I do appreciate it. What about the heater valve...does it make sense that that would have crapped out? That's another 200 or so (of the 690) right there....

Look, you got to do diagnostic first okay? Heater valve rarely crap out. If you don't have proper coolant flowing to the heater valves, then you are not going to get heat.

Find the leak first and fix it.

All reasonable. Here's the update:

I called the shop and they said "well, we really recommended the heater valve as a preventative thing, we'll do the pump for 390." Well, that kind of blew it for me- I'll do the bypass after work and order the pump from BMA (Patrick has always been great....and am assuming he still is.

SO (last Q, I promise) when I pull the aux pump to remove it and connect the two hoses, is the heater valve a part of that aux pump assembly- i.e. what should I be mindful/careful of?

Huge thanks guys, this place is the best.

It is separate... just look at the BMA picture of that pump and you will understand what I am talking about.

Whew- glad you're out there...

In looking at it on the car the other day I was looking right at the heater valve thinking that was the aux pump...it's obviously not. I now see the pump is a bottle shaped thingy which I am assuming will be underneath the heater valve and that the heater valve must be dismounted first (though not disconnected necessarily) to get to it.

Sincere thanks fella. I know us novices can be annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast