GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: auto 94 530it not shifting into 5th

Default auto 94 530it not shifting into 5th

Yesterday my wifes 94 530it automatic would not shift into the final gear, at 60 mph it was showing over 3000 rpm. If she moves the button to M it would shift and rpm's go down to a little over 2 grand. I could see it changing through all the gears but the last one in A. No message. On my next day off im going to change the filter and fluid, but could it be my tranny going out? I really dont need that right now!

Quote Originally Posted by barry 90 525i View Post
    Yesterday my wifes 94 530it automatic would not shift into the final gear, at 60 mph it was showing over 3000 rpm. If she moves the button to M it would shift and rpm's go down to a little over 2 grand. I could see it changing through all the gears but the last one in A. No message. On my next day off im going to change the filter and fluid, but could it be my tranny going out? I really dont need that right now!
    From the ZF manual for the A5S310Z under troubleshooting 4-5:
    Clutch E, inadequate supply to clutch E
    Line break at solenoid 1
    Shift valve 4 sticking
    Damper C2 blocked
    Position switch (selector lever) fault

So I'd start with cleaning the selector switch and then change the oil/filter

Do u mean the selector switch inside the console? Another question. I went to clean the shift gate but there is a thin strake of metal that goes along side the switch pack and does not let the plastc shift assembly come out. In the FAQ pic's on how to clean it it does not show that, was that only on the 530 and how do u remove it to clean the switches. thanks

We ran into the that metal bar piece on my brother's 525i. Its part of the ignition lock to transmission shifter interlock. If remember correctly, we disconnected the cable that operates the metal bar (its clipped in I believe) and then removed the clip and spring that retain the metal bar on its pivot shaft. Next we carefully popped off the cover on the white plastic selector switch housing. After that, you can pivot the metal bar up and wiggle it off of the pivot shaft. This exposes the previously blocked allen head bolt that holds the selector switch on the front. Remove that bolt and the one on the side to remove the switch. Clean and reinstall. Hope this helps.

Thanks Rus, i was able to follow your directions and clean the selector contacts. It didnt help my problem. If i slowly increase speed the car will shift into 5th. But if i drive normal it will not shift into 5th. Does this sound like a electrical problem or mechanical? thank you