GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: tire questions

Default tire questions

I have gotten some new tires and they are directional. The tires I had before were not, the car now seems to wonder around the lane unless its a very flat smooth. the question is this what I should expect from now on because of the directional tires? Is this normal? I know I'm not very happy with it. What are you experiences.

get an alignment and have the front end inspected by someone knowledgeable. Your thrust arm bushings could be wasted even if they are somewhat new. The rear dogbones could be worn that will also cause the wander you are experiencing. as for new tire wandering if everything is good I just dont see it in real life, check tire pressures too.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I also wander why you're wondering

As Jeff eluded to, there are many components in the fairly complex front ends of these cars, all of which seem capable of f'ing with your $hit. Unless something is noticeably worn out, you can end up replacing a lot of things unnecessarily. This is why it may be wise to get the opinion of someone who is familiar with these things.

Oh, and regarding your initial question, while your new tires should not be the culprit, they may be exaggerating a pre-existing issue.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave M; 03-12-2009 at 01:06 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Agreed... something is worn out on suspension steering component.

Default I call the steering idler/pitman arm..........

Quote Originally Posted by h2oyo View Post
    I have gotten some new tires and they are directional. The tires I had before were not, the car now seems to wonder around the lane unless its a very flat smooth. the question is this what I should expect from now on because of the directional tires? Is this normal? I know I'm not very happy with it. What are you experiences.
    only because I experienced the same wandering on the previous tire install, years ago.

How much play do you have in your steering?

JD

Some tires are more prone to following the imperfections in the road surface. A proper alignment should minimize these tendencies and make the car track in a straight line. Changing tires just amplified the need for proper alignment. As others said, inspect the front suspension too. I have directional tires on my car and it doesn't wander around on the road.

Yup, it's not that the tires are directional. Some tire makes do tramline more than others, but it's probably something that's worn out or out of adjustment as everyone else has said.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by JD525IA View Post
    only because I experienced the same wandering on the previous tire install, years ago.

How much play do you have in your steering?

JD
    There isnt much steering wheel movement that can be felt at least when driving but there seems to be an inch or so movement when the car isnt rolling. I will have the front end checked out. I have replaced the upper and lower control arms in the last couple of months. This was because of the famous 55 mph shake. I had the car aligned after that work. I'm guessing that just about everything is worn out just because I dont have any idea when the last time any of it was changed and with almost 200K on the car it could be very well worn out. Thanks for the help and and insight into this problem.