GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New day new problem.. :(

Default New day new problem.. :(

During a 350 miles long ride yesterday at nite something wierd happened several times to my instrument cluster, radio, aircon and OBC lights..

When using any switch like turning the foglights on, using the blinkers or flashing the headlights even touching the brake etc. the entire dash, all lights in front of me would turn off for a sec or two!

Very disturbing @ 75 mph

Any pointers?

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    During a 350 miles long ride yesterday at nite something wierd happened several times to my instrument cluster, radio, aircon and OBC lights..

When using any switch like turning the foglights on, using the blinkers or flashing the headlights even touching the brake etc. the entire dash, all lights in front of me would turn off for a sec or two!

Very disturbing @ 75 mph

Any pointers?
    never had that. but my hoink stopped working because there was water under the rear seat.

also my temp gauge is acting funny because of a bad contact between the dash and instrument panel

Very disturbing @ 75 mph

Any pointers?
    Sounds like something getting hot and the connection failing. Bad grounding point somewhere?

Brian

+1 to bad grounds, or possibly some wiring shorting out somewhere. I'd start with the headlight switch, though. Are you running higher wattage headlights? That can definitely cause some overheating in that area...

No, Iīm running xenons.. but it does it too when I use foggies (stock bulbs) only! Where would I find the grounding points?

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

No, Iīm running xenons.. but it does it too when I use foggies (stock bulbs) only! Where would I find the grounding points?
    Search around here, there have been several postings with pictures I belive...

Start with the point that has the most of the symptomatic systems on it.

Brian

Fusible links perhaps ?

If it was the fusible link wouldnīt the headlights, fogs etc turn off too? coz they donīt ever..

Well, I'm no expert on the electrical system of the E34. I especially remember it coming up for different and similar issues. Could be worth looking at methinks. But re-reading your description, perhaps not.

It's as if when extra current is required for the actions described, it breaks balance in the electrical system for a moment and stresses something that makes the power outage in the interior lighting system.

Maybe a relay is dying. But plus one on what's also being recommended above.

It's as if when extra current is required for the actions described, it breaks balance in the electrical system for a moment and stresses something that makes the power outage in the interior lighting system.
    Thats what it seems like to me too.. Thx for all your pointers, please bring on some more if you have any!