GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: E32 V16 - the secret 7

Default OT: E32 V16 - the secret 7

With Bosch DME 3.3 which treated the V16 as 2 inline-8, each with their own electronically controlled throttle body.
    Cylinder dimensions 84x75 mm bore and stroke are the same as the M70 so that it's capacity was raised from 4998 cc to 6651 cc which upped the output from 300 BHP at 5200 RPM and 332 ft lb at 4100 RPM to 408 BHP at 5200 RPM and 461 ft lb at 3900 RPM. valve lift and timing was the same for both engines as was the 91 mm distance between the cylinder bore centers. And like the M70 V12, it was in a very conservative state of tune compared with the smaller capacity engines. Given that it is 25% larger the weight of the V16 was claimed to be just 310 kg, only 60 kg more than the M70.

Six-speed manual gear box from the E31 8 series coupe.

Performance of the big saloon was extremely good with claims of 6.0 seconds for the 0-62 mph dash and an unfettered maximum speed in excess of 175 mph.
    http://www.zorro.milk-maid.de/scans/e32_v16.pdf

wow.... amazing find. The rear looks weird with the rad in the trunk and the scoops on the side.

How mad to create such an engine though, a turbo V8 would have been much simpler and more powerful, or even a 535i turbo.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

damn! foiled again. I guess i'll have to put my mercedes benz s700 v-14 on ebay and step up to 16 cans of fire. drat.

but on a more serious note, i wouldn't believe someone if they told me that that thing existed without seeing such a serious write-up on it. i'm going to make that 16 tube intake manifold my sig pic, i tell you what.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Forgive my skeptical nature please. Is this an early April fools joke?
    A few things lead me to think this isn't for real;
    Adding two cylinders to either bank wouldn't increase the length of the engine by nearly a foot as stated. Those ducts, NACA ducts? huge friggin NACA ducts on the quarters? WTF would they have been smoking? The underhood picture appears as if the hood wouldn't shut over the engine. Finally, the text states that the engine was "fully dveloped, ready to go". A single example in a cobbled up mule isn't "fully developed" in anyone's book.
    I say either BS or they ought to be farming out prototype work to some hot rod shop.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

The ducts are for the radiator which went to the rear where the trunk is. There is a lot of space when you move the radiator, remove the visco-fan. It probably has some sort of electrical fan in the front to save space and keep the "fish" cool.
    More pics from the website of MWrench

http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/V...s/goldfish.jpg
    http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/V.../goldfish1.jpg

from here
    http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/V-12%20Myths/

and here you find the link to the magazin

http://www.bmwcarmagazine.com/thismonth.asp
    Issue 177
    March 2009

The Secret Seven
    If you think a V12 is a big engine then prepare to think again, as we uncover the E32 V16 prototype.

Issue 177
    March 2009

Cover Story: Luxury used BMW bargains

Behind the wheel: MINI Cooper S Convertible

Feature: European M3 drive, Driver Development Programme, E32 V16 prototype, GT Tuning 300bhp MINI Cooper S, X5 in the Alps

Buying Guide: E30 318iS

What's It All About?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW Car Magazine is published monthly by Unity Consumer Press for all owners, drivers and enthusiasts of the BMW marque.

It is available entirely independently of BMW (UK) Ltd or its dealers, or any club or association.

And we speak as we find...

----------------------------------
    I do not know who posted that copy, just found it on the German forum.

I had heard rumors about this years ago, but I cannot remember where from. This is an awesome and secretive beast! It's simply...amazing.

1989 11/88, M30B35 175k-miles 535iM
    1988 04/87, M20B27 153k-miles 528e
    1987 01/87, M30B34 126k-miles L6
    Washington D.C