GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Breaking in new Brakes failed?

Default Breaking in new Brakes failed?

I just installed Akebono Euro pads on 2 new front blank rotors (not sure what they are, arent brembo blanks or oem) and 2 rear old rotors (not that bad).

I did the Zeckhausen and Stoptech instructions/methods for bedding in the brakes on a long 2 mile stretch road with no one else to bug me and during the cooldown process, it was fine and dandy but after 10 mins the screeching is coming back.

All 4 squeak squeak from 10 MPH to 50 MPH and never end while the two front ones make this loud harsh rubbing horn squeal noise everytime I am slowing down starting from 30 MPH to stop.

Anyone know whats going on? Really annoying and everyone around me gives me dirty looks and thinks that my car can't brake at all and it is loud!

Help or advice is appreciated

did you put copper slip (or similar - google 'anti squeal grease') on the back of the pads ?

I can't imagine what your doing... but i have installed hundreds of sets of akebono's and have never had a noise issue with any of them...ever.
    They don't require a break in and if they do, they come with a little info sheet telling you what to do , not the zeckhausen 60 to 0 routine. All the info sheets that come with a few sets of akebono or on the side of the box state is to do some rolling stops from 30-35. No break in required.
    And they come with a lubricant for the back and sliding surfaces of the pad, you don't need to use any other product. Since i've never had a noise problem with akebono i can't tell you where to begin to look.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlameking View Post
    I just installed Akebono Euro pads on 2 new front blank rotors (not sure what they are, arent brembo blanks or oem) and 2 rear old rotors (not that bad).

I did the Zeckhausen and Stoptech instructions/methods for bedding in the brakes on a long 2 mile stretch road with no one else to bug me and during the cooldown process, it was fine and dandy but after 10 mins the screeching is coming back.

All 4 squeak squeak from 10 MPH to 50 MPH and never end while the two front ones make this loud harsh rubbing horn squeal noise everytime I am slowing down starting from 30 MPH to stop.

Anyone know whats going on? Really annoying and everyone around me gives me dirty looks and thinks that my car can't brake at all and it is loud!

I think it is coming from your old discs... scratch all the old rotors with sandpaper and break it in again. I don't know what technics you are doing but if you brake real hard during those breakin period, you glazed all your pads.

Take it all apart again and redo your work... scratch up the rotors as much as you can with good emory cloth sandpaper of various grades.

Default Check your work...........

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlameking View Post

Make sure you lubed up the two carrier bolts on each caliper, so the calipers can move and center itself when you wear down the pads.

Check your anti-rattle clips to ensure they are installed properly.

Get a lot of anti-squeel lube on the back of the pads, like was previously mentioned.

Clean any dirt or grease off the caliper that may have gotten on them during the work. I prefer isopropyl alcohol and a clean rag because it cuts thru the dirt and grease/oils quickly. Brake cleaner seems to leave too much residue.

Bedding in pads has been discussed here several times. Sounds like you did it correctly.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD525IA View Post
    Make sure you lubed up the two carrier bolts on each caliper, so the calipers can move and center itself when you wear down the pads.

Check your anti-rattle clips to ensure they are installed properly.

Get a lot of anti-squeel lube on the back of the pads, like was previously mentioned.

Clean any dirt or grease off the caliper that may have gotten on them during the work. I prefer isopropyl alcohol and a clean rag because it cuts thru the dirt and grease/oils quickly. Brake cleaner seems to leave too much residue.

Bedding in pads has been discussed here several times. Sounds like you did it correctly.

JD
    You don't use any lube on the caliper guide pins, here is a page out of the factory manual stating this. I never do on bmw. And Akebono's come with their own paste to apply to the backs of the pads and any metal on metal contact areas

Default What was I thinking?

[QUOTE=Bill R.;321468]"You don't use any lube on the caliper guide pins, here is a page out of the factory manual stating this. I never do on bmw. And Akebono's come with their own paste to apply to the backs of the pads and any metal on metal contact areas"

--------------------------------

Woops! No wonder my brakes always squeak!

Is the back of the pad stuff supposed to be slippery or sticky? The stuff I have seen is sticky/tacky.

I thought the stuff that comes with the pads or the lube stuff like anti-seize is supposed to go on the ears (tabs).