GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: replacement pads for 535I

Default replacement pads for 535I

I need to put front brakes on my wifes 89, 535I. And was wondering what is a good replacement pad over stock BMW? I noticed the driver side is worn down way more than the passenger, is this normal? I bought a set of pads from O'reillys, and the pad surface didn't go out to the edge like the ones already on the car, this will cause the the rotor to wear a ridge. I brought them back and they said all their stock was like this, also there was too much pad, I couldn't get them around the rotor, and the piston was completely pushed in. How much do stock BMW pads cost?

I have Raybestos pads and they're fine. Akebono pads are also good. Its not normal for one side to wear more than the other. This means that the caliper is hanging up, which could be either caused by dirty guides, or worn out guides.
    Last edited by russiankid; 02-16-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Go for Akebono!

The Akebono Euro are great, and low dust.

I've had ATE pads & dkscs up front for a long time now, no issues at all... And they're cheap too.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

I ended up going with a set of VGX pads. I have a small import part shop in Dallas, and he had the Akebono set, but he suggested I try the VGX, due to $35 cheaper and they come with new pins. Perfect fit, appear to be good quality, just not ceramic. Does anyone know if slotted rotors can be turned? I took the rotors to o' reillys and they said you can't machine sloted rotors.

They can be turned (or ground) but I'm guessing only a shop that does a lot of work on race cars will do it. It'd be a bit of a specialty job...

Quote Originally Posted by paanta View Post
    They can be turned (or ground) but I'm guessing only a shop that does a lot of work on race cars will do it. It'd be a bit of a specialty job...
    I have turned my own rotors for a long time. My Dad had a lathe and I used to as a kid to turn rotors and flywheels. Its not hard at all, with slotted rotors you must just turn a little slower and run your feed slower. Sharp cutting tools will not harm the slots.
    Johan