GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerky Acceleration

Default Jerky Acceleration

With the problems I have now, my acceleration had to join in as well.

I was going uphill quite slowly and all of a sudden the car started to jerk and the revs kept going up and down. I stopped at the traffic light and the car died. AArrrggghhh!!!!! I started it again and it started right up but now the idling is erratic. It moves up and down from 1000 rpm to 500 rpm. It normally sits at about the 700 mark. Driving it back slowly and it was still jerky all the way back. When I accelerated harder, about 2500 - 3000 rpm, the jerkiness went away.

I dont even know where to start looking as I have not ordered the bentley manual.

Please help....... thanks

Check the elbow hose from idle valve to intake manifold (it's right under the intake manifold and not so easy to reach). Most likely vacuum leak.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Quote Originally Posted by morgenster View Post
    check The Elbow Hose From Idle Valve To Intake Manifold (it's Right Under The Intake Manifold And Not So Easy To Reach). Most Likely Vacuum Leak.
    +1

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8 View Post
    +1
    ok... i have looked at the intake manifold, under it, around it and i see alot of hoses but do not know which one is the vacuum hose. I really must be stupid. I ave had a look at realoem and am still lost. Could anyone point me in the right direction please while i am still searching for a bently here in oz.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreman77 View Post
    ok... i have looked at the intake manifold, under it, around it and i see alot of hoses but do not know which one is the vacuum hose. I really must be stupid. I ave had a look at realoem and am still lost. Could anyone point me in the right direction please while i am still searching for a bently here in oz.

thanks
    here, it's for an e36 but m50 motor hope this helps http://www.bimmermania.com/viewtopic.php?t=180

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

here, it's for an e36 but m50 motor hope this helps http://www.bimmermania.com/viewtopic.php?t=180
    Thanks alot. its alot clearer now. In the photo of the ICV, where does the suspect leaking elbow connect to? Left or right of the picture shown?

Thanks alot. its alot clearer now. In the photo of the ICV, where does the suspect leaking elbow connect to? Left or right of the picture shown?
    just check both or not all your vacuum hose including the intake boot. does not matter where the leak is.. vacuum leak = bad idle

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

just check both or not all your vacuum hose including the intake boot. does not matter where the leak is.. vacuum leak = bad idle
    Hi all,

I removed the ICV today with both hoses. I checked the hoses and the elbow which connects to the intake boot. I also checked all the lines that connected to the intake boot in one way or another. While some of the hoses were cracked, they were not cracked right through. Could they still have caused the bad idle. I did notice what I believe to be engine oil in the breather tube. At least thats what I think the tube is. There was oil in the intake boot and a bit around the throttle. Is this normal?

I will clean the ICV but I also want to clean the throttle. Should I do it still attached to the intake manifold or take it off. By looking at it, i think ist only being held by 4 hex bolt and the switch.
    Last edited by dreman77; 03-06-2009 at 07:55 AM.

Hi all,

I removed the ICV today with both hoses. I checked the hoses and the elbow which connects to the intake boot. I also checked all the lines that connected to the intake boot in one way or another. While some of the hoses were cracked, they were not cracked right through. Could they still have caused the bad idle. I did notice what I believe to be engine oil in the breather tube. At least thats what I think the tube is. There was oil in the intake boot and a bit around the throttle. Is this normal?

I will clean the ICV but I also want to clean the throttle. Should I do it still attached to the intake manifold or take it off. By looking at it, i think ist only being held by 4 hex bolt and the switch.
    I don't think it hurts to take it off, but I don't think it's necessary.
    Cracks are a bad sign, but chances are that after disassembling - cleaning - and reassembling averything will work normally again, just because something was not attached properly or clean enough before.
    The breather hose carries crankcase fumes into the manifold and it should be slightly oily but not too much. Unless you're not talking about the crankcase ventilation hose connected to front of the engine.
    See how everything works after cleaning and reassembling. It's a good introduction to your engine and if it solves the problem you're saved.
    If it doesn't solve the problem you can move on to more difficult stuff.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

If you have an M50 engine the hose coming from the ICV to the intake boot is on the right side standing from the drivers side. The U-hose or as some refer to as " crooked penis hose" runs from the ICV to the intake manifold. This one is fairly hard to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast