GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best audio solution using stock size

Default The best audio solution using stock size

Hello, because I'm stripping everything out of the E34, I'm considering upgrading the audio.

what would be your advice in order to replace the stock speakers. I think I have 6. Each speaker has a double strand cable (+ and -).

I already have a sub and a CAR WANTED 4 channels amp.

Found my Infinity Reference 6 1/2" 2-Way Speakers somewhat harsh. The tweeters that I rigged up I've since unplugged because they were VERY harsh.

The JVC rear speakers are OK. A separate amp is installed in the truck which helps.

Not exactly pleased with my sound system. Oh well.

Blair...

I'd go with this package that was designed for an E34.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-5-Series-E34/
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Wow thats cool! Wish it was pre market crash and I would buy a set for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    I'd go with this package that was designed for an E34.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-5-Series-E34/
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Wow thats cool! Wish it was pre market crash and I would buy a set for sure.
    Yeah, I'd like to pick up BSW's E34 kit. I hadn't needed one, but it sounds like the woofer in the passengers kick panel is on it's way out. So I'll have to pick up that kit at some point. Gotta fix a couple of other things first.

It's too bad that they're down in the Atlanta area. I recall when they were looking for a test vehicle and had difficulties finding one. I certainly would've let them use my car as they gave the guy a set of the speakers installed for the use of test fitting them in his car.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

what is your budget? a pair of focal 6.5" components fit nicely into the kickpanels, with the tweet mounted in the dash (won't fit in a-pillar). which leaves you with your sub.. just make sure you port it well into the cabin as anything behind the ski hole will lose a lot of dB

these are big bang for your buck:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FOCAL-165V1-POLY...3A1%7C294%3A50
    and u can also get one of the better models if your budget fits em

don't worry about the back speakers they are only for fill.. all u need are your fronts and a sub in the trunk. a 4 channel amp would work you can use 2 channels for the fronts and bridge the other 2 for the rear. not ideal.. but u didn't mention your budget so that's a cheap way out (which is what most ppl look for)
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

You have to buy component speaker in front... separate tweeter and woofer. You can find alot within your budget if you shop on ebay. The key thing is size of the tweeter... some company makes 'cheap' set and have super tiny tweeter that is a joke. Two way component system is all you need for front.

As for the rear, it is not that important back there so you can just stick in a two way speaker... 5.25"... or score a cheap two way component system to replace the factory setup and use your amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    You have to buy component speaker in front... separate tweeter and woofer. You can find alot within your budget if you shop on ebay. The key thing is size of the tweeter... some company makes 'cheap' set and have super tiny tweeter that is a joke. Two way component system is all you need for front.

As for the rear, it is not that important back there so you can just stick in a two way speaker... 5.25"... or score a cheap two way component system to replace the factory setup and use your amp.
    Thx Tiger and Incantation as i'm trying to put the bits and pieces together. I don't have much money but I want to make most of it. I bought a good 4 channel amp and a big phoenix gold woofer on ebay.

1) Incantation, why is bridging 2 channels for the woofer not so good?
    I plan to rip open the ski opening and put the woofer just there in the trunk.

2)Thx for telling to concentrate on the footwell speakers. Do I need to use my amp for those speakers or just reuse the stock cables? Or should I rephrase my question: what is the difference between the stock cable (+ and -) and connecting the speakers to my AMP with a RCA cable (if that makes any sense)?

3) Tiger, a 2-way system is a like a 3-way but without the tweeter?

thx guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post

2)Thx for telling to concentrate on the footwell speakers. Do I need to use my amp for those speakers or just reuse the stock cables? Or should I rephrase my question: what is the difference between the stock cable (+ and -) and connecting the speakers to my AMP with a RCA cable (if that makes any sense)?

You need the crossover in the stock amp to distribute the signal among your speakers. For example your new head has one FrontRight output but you have 2 (or 3 if you have door tweeters) FrontRight speakers getting individual feeds from the amp.

Component speakers (2-way or 3-way) have their own internal crossovers, so if for example you replace the BackRight speaker assembly (which is actually two separate speakers) with a component speaker then you would want to send the leads to it directly from the new head unit.

edit- btw... it's kind of confusing... "component speakers" are so-named because they are a self-contained assembly of more than one speaker. however, the components being speakers themselves, quite often are referred to as being component speakers individually. kind of stupid whoever thought of that. anyway....

But with the fronts you need to splice into your amp feeds.... you can do this in the dash, just use the leads to the old head. You don't need to but you can bypass the amplifier in the stock amp and solder directly to the crossovers, I'm actually doing this myself and I'm a bit nervous about it b/c i'm not entirely sure what is which in there.

(that's not my photo btw, i found it a while ago and it has been deleted and the member is no longer active so i hope he doesn't mind)

As an alternative you could rig speakers up in series or in parallel but you have to get your ohms right and know your math...

My 2cents for the woofer, if your new head has an additional line-out (ie rca out) i would buy a seperate amp just for the sub and use that.
    And 2 cents about the factory speakers... I think they sound pretty good... they just need a nice signal which the factory head doesn't give i bet (i never had one)

I'm going to replace the rears with component speakers... anyone fit anything bigger than 5.25" in the rear?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by tim eh?; 03-08-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Two way is just woofer and tweeter. 75% of the sound in car stereo is from front speaker. You can buy component speakers for the price of two way on ebay... even Blaupunkt makes a very nice one.

As for using your new amp, I would rewire the car... bring a new direct line from amp to each corner of the car... forget about factory speakers/amp crossover.

If you have to reuse the factory speaker in the back to get better speakers in front, then I'd get a pair of external crossover for the the rear speaker.

If I am guessing what you are trying to do... use amp for subwoofer alone and use head unit to power all interior speakers, then that's not optimal. You really do need the power to front speakers.

What you can do is this... use one pair of amp power for front speaker and the other for the subwoofer and have the car head unit power the factory rear speakers.
    Last edited by Tiger; 03-08-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast