GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passenger Sdie Aircon blowing hot air when select cold

Default Passenger Sdie Aircon blowing hot air when select cold

Hi,

My passenger side aircon blows hot air even though the selector is at cold. I;m guessing its the temperature sensor. The question is how do I get to it and verify that it is the cause of the fault.

The airflow seems very low - will need to change microfilter. Does my model have a cabin air filter?

I also have the antifreeze smell in the cabin. I'm guessing heater core.

thanks

Heater valve is stuck. You need to loosen up the selenoid cover and tap repeatedly with hammer to loosen up the selenoid and then tighten the cover back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Heater valve is stuck. You need to loosen up the selenoid cover and tap repeatedly with hammer to loosen up the selenoid and then tighten the cover back down.
    Hi Tiger,

thanks. which solenoid cover are we talking about and where is it. I am totally new to bimmers and do not have my bently manual yet.

thanks

On driver side by firewall... remove black plastic cover and you should see the heater hoses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    On driver side by firewall... remove black plastic cover and you should see the heater hoses, etc.
    Not all E34's have that cover on the solenoids. Mine didn't, nor did a friend's 525iT.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Not all E34's have that cover on the solenoids. Mine didn't, nor did a friend's 525iT.
    There is a black box on both the lh and rh firewall. Mine is a rh drive. The one in front of the driver has 4 screws holding it down. Would it be that one?

Look up heater valve online and compare it to your car.

Quote Originally Posted by dreman77 View Post
    There is a black box on both the lh and rh firewall. Mine is a rh drive. The one in front of the driver has 4 screws holding it down. Would it be that one?
    Nope, those boxes contain the fuses on one side, and the computers on the other. The one with the 4 screws is the computer box, and the other one is one of the fuse boxes. As your car is RHD, the drivers side has the computer, and the passengers side has the fuse box.

Here's some pics I took of the heater valve in my car both before (w/out the cover as it came from the factory) and after (after I got the mounting nuts and cover installed).

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=25

It should be noted that the heater valve is right next to the fuse box. Those pics are a bit close up and don't show the location of the valves very well.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Nope, those boxes contain the fuses on one side, and the computers on the other. The one with the 4 screws is the computer box, and the other one is one of the fuse boxes. As your car is RHD, the drivers side has the computer, and the passengers side has the fuse box.

Here's some pics I took of the heater valve in my car both before (w/out the cover as it came from the factory) and after (after I got the mounting nuts and cover installed).

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=25

It should be noted that the heater valve is right next to the fuse box. Those pics are a bit close up and don't show the location of the valves very well.
    Hi Bubba,

Thank you so much for the photos. I have found the heater solenoid and no, mine does not have a cover on it. It is also using the hex type nuts on it. Should i go and buy the proper caps? I will try knocking on the solenoid as soon as i can fix the erratic idling issue. Are the caps supposed to be torqued to any specific value?
    Last edited by dreman77; 03-05-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Just tight is enoguh... you have to loosen up the selenoid cap a bit so you can 'bounce' the selenoid when you taps on it repeatedly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast