GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Looking for Opinions, Sell and Buy Another or Stick With It?

Default Looking for Opinions, Sell and Buy Another or Stick With It?

I am really torn here and looking for opinions...

Sorry about the long story but want to present as many "facts" as I can.

I have a 94 525 manual that I purchased three years ago and have used as my daily driver since. It wasn't in the best of shape but the price of $4,000 at the time seemed fair and it has a history of being a one family car. It had 154,000 miles when I purchased it.

Since then I have replaced both side mirrors to get rid of the discoloration, new shift knob, upgraded to a OBC over the clock, new air conditioning system including air compressor, condenser, dryer, and evaporator, new aux fan, brake pads and rotors all around, front left thrust arm, new plugs, new belts, every water hose replaced, new water pump, new fan clutch, new fuel pump, replaced almost every piece of body trim, fixed the broken head rest (both sides), fixed seat twist, new shift boot, flushed radiator every fall, new tires, winter wheels, new winter tires, and new floor mats. Body and paint is not perfect, but very presentable and shines up nice. Black exterior and interior with leatherette seats so they are perfect, with no tears or visible wear.

I admit I am compulsive and want it perfect. I love the car and don't have any issue with the $2,000 or so a year to keep it up.

Now I know I should replace the radiator since I am not sure of the history and feel I am running on borrowed time. I also am starting to hear little noises when I brake over bumps and am starting to think about a complete suspension rebuild, front and rear.

Having just turned over 194,000 and seeing the small rust reappear for the third straight year on the drivers lower door, I am having second thoughts about sticking anymore money in. I should add I live in Wisconsin and I am worried about rusting fuel tank and lines, exhaust etc that are soon to come up.

I am tempted to sell this car, hoping to get $2,500-3,000, convince my wife I would have spent $2,000 repairing it, and having $6-7K to get a new project car. I know, it's husband math, but it works. The only thing stopping me as I love the E34, and what I can see on the market the last few months, a manual with 120,000 miles or less would be dreaming.

Any thoughts, opinions, are welcome.
    Last edited by GoldenEagleFan; 03-02-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    94 E34 525i M50, Manual, 200,000 Miles
    02 E39 530i M54, Auto, 85,000 Miles

It looks like you have a nicer BMW already. Why not just drive this one and fix only what needs fixing when it needs fixing? If it costs you $2K to fix it every year, just drive it one or two more years without repairs (or with the bare minimum) and it has paid for itself, right? Whatever miles you get out of it after that is a free ride.

As it is, rust and all the things you mention will be a problem on most cars that are older in a state like WI.
    Last edited by xspeedy; 03-02-2009 at 10:42 PM.

I´m in your exact same situation, make no mistake I adore my 525 touring but rust has started to creep up on doors and rear side.. I´ve changed a whole bunch but still need to change rear brakes and pads (already bought them) It runs very well but that rust is gonna be hard to kill!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

swap the M54 into it
    -Mike

I am feeling somewhat the same way. I really like my car - I did the full suspension last year, and the only time it breaks down is when I do something stupid to it, usually while repairing it.

That said, I am getting more into autocross, and I am going to be doing my first track days and driving schools this year. I need to upgrade wheels and tires, and probably throw on some strut braces and thicker sway bars too. All of this to the tune of around $2000. The trouble is, my car is slow. I've driven an e30 with an m50 swap last week, and it just didn't move me the same way my car does. I can't seem to find a smaller car that I like as much that I could turn into a track car. So it looks like I am going to put more money into the 5, despite the spectre of a small amount of rust and the 400,000 km drivetrain.

rusting fuel lines can be changed for much less than 2k. You probably have a plastic fuel tank.

keep it. rust is a problem though. buy a part car and take the doors, remove the rust on the new organs and treat it well! then no problems

Although I just replaced my super rusty 92 with a much nicer 95 for 3 grand, I have to say you should stick with the one you have. 2k - 3k will do a lot for your car. The 92 I had was in way worse shape than what you described. It had rust holes and hail all over--looked like I had been in a gun fight, and the exhaust was held on by a chain I found in the driveway. Most everything was on the verge of failing. I had fallen out of love with the car.

And while the 95 had a little rust starting on the doors, it turns out a good body shop can do wonders for that--as long as it's just starting. On the other hand, I've found my self doing a lot of jobs on the 95 that I had already done on the 92, and that redundancy got old really fast---though I was much better at it the second time around. I'm in MN and rust is indeed a constant struggle, but I searched for a whole year for a 525im---test drove many E34s in the twin cities---and found that you have to go way south---like Texas---to find one with absolutely no rust--but then it won't have the winter package. These cars are just too old to not be showing their age and environment on the body.

Based on your description, your 525i is still in pretty good condition and to "upgrade" to another 525i wouldn't offer that boost you're looking for. I don't think it would justify the expense and hassle. Now, if you trade for an M5....well that's a different story.

Good point Benny!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Thanks for the feedback! The more I think about it and face the reality of what is on the market, looks like hanging on is not such a bad option.

Just hope the old girl doesn't sense I was thinking about getting rid of her and throw a fit....
    94 E34 525i M50, Manual, 200,000 Miles
    02 E39 530i M54, Auto, 85,000 Miles