GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird engine noise/vibration ? What can it be? (ENGINE VIDEO)

Default Weird engine noise/vibration ? What can it be? (ENGINE VIDEO)

528i 1998 touring:

Well i really dont know if this is a normal sound for my 28i engine since i dont know him yet very well...

When on idle, i mean not driving, only engine running, from the car inside i hear some noise i guess it comes from the outside, maybe engine compartment, something like:

ta ta ta ta tra tra ta ta (the "tra tra" means an irregular sound between all "ta ta"....)

YouTube - BMW E39 528i engine

Very low sound, need to be focused to hear....

Well since i dont know if this is a normal sound i put here my engine working on the outside and would like to know your opinion if these is a normal engine noise and take a careful look at the end part...where near the engine you could see some vibration...

I have Castrol Longlife 04 0w30 on this engine since almost 2500 kms

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 528i_tourer View Post
    528i 1998 touring:

Well i really dont know if this is a normal sound for my 28i engine since i dont know him yet very well...

When on idle, i mean not driving, only engine running, from the car inside i hear some noise i guess it comes from the outside, maybe engine compartment, something like:

ta ta ta ta tra tra ta ta (the "tra tra" means an irregular sound between all "ta ta"....)

YouTube - BMW E39 528i engine

Very low sound, need to be focused to hear....

Well since i dont know if this is a normal sound i put here my engine working on the outside and would like to know your opinion if these is a normal engine noise and take a careful look at the end part...where near the engine you could see some vibration...

I have Castrol Longlife 04 0w30 on this engine since almost 2500 kms

Thanks!
    Sounds like a diesel (that would be bad). I own a 540 (with a V8), so I don't know what the Inline 6s are supposed to sound like, but I would guess that you need your valves adjusted at the least.

BavAuto has a stethascope tool that you could listen to the engine and see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from...

You need a new VANOS unit, or you can get a rebuilt unit from drvanos.com for less.

Put your ear near the hump on the front of the engine - that is where the noise is coming from and where the VANOS unit is.

Also, if you have Harbor Freight in your area, pick up a stethoscope there. I think they go on sale for $2.
    Last edited by xspeedy; 02-26-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xspeedy View Post
    You need a new VANOS unit, or you can get a rebuilt unit from drvanos.com for less.

Put your ear near the hump on the front of the engine - that is where the noise is coming from and where the VANOS unit is.

Also, if you have Harbor Freight in your area, pick up a stethoscope there. I think they go on sale for $2.
    Ah, didn't know it was a VANOS engine, thought that was only the V8's, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by xspeedy View Post

Hmmm...could you please be more specific...i mean...i understand...but speaking on costs.... i mean is that very expensive...well i mean....how many....and btw could you please refer to which part, please to have a nice understanding of what is happening....

http://bmwfans.info/original/E39/tou...1998/04/mg-11/

THANKS THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Hmmm...could you please be more specific...i mean...i understand...but speaking on costs.... i mean is that very expensive...well i mean....how many....and btw could you please refer to which part, please to have a nice understanding of what is happening....

http://bmwfans.info/original/E39/tou...1998/04/mg-11/

THANKS THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
    I can't figure out which number is pointing to this, but it may be #1. It is the larger thing with the two holes in it that is above where the #8 is. I imagine it will run a few hundred bucks or so for the part - I haven't priced a Double VANOS unit. If you are paying for the labor, you are going to pay quite a bit more. Make sure you double check that the noise is coming from that area. You can do a YouTube search on "VANOS Noise" and you'll hear other examples.

Here is a link to the drvanos rebuilt unit which I think is for your car.

http://www.drvanos.com/us_dual.htm
    Last edited by xspeedy; 02-26-2009 at 08:35 PM.

I don't know enough about the 528 to diagnose this from the video, but I have done a seal and O-ring replacement on an M52 with double vanos (e39 525 touring). The symptoms were some light tapping (not as bad as yours) and stalling untill warmed up.

The rebuild kit cost ~$60 US and it took an evening to complete, including a bunch of other seals/gaskets along the way. Heres a link to a my short write-up on it, just in case it turns out to be similar.

Good luck with it,

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Well mine i think its single vanos cause its from 1998 and its from first ones that came with vanos....

You are speaking on similar problems on VANOS but i cannot found/ i mean its difficult to compare noises...i watch some youtube videos about vanos problems and i still can get similar ones....so i really am bothered not knowing very well what is happening....

couldnt it be also a waterpump issue ?!?

Well mine i think its single vanos cause its from 1998 and its from first ones that came with vanos....

You are speaking on similar problems on VANOS but i cannot found/ i mean its difficult to compare noises...i watch some youtube videos about vanos problems and i still can get similar ones....so i really am bothered not knowing very well what is happening....

couldnt it be also a waterpump issue ?!?
    I don't know, that really sounded like valve noises to me. It would really help to know *exactly* where the noise is coming from, that's why I recommended the stethascope.

I suppose you could try to put your ear down there, but you'll need to watch out for the fan blade (and do it with the engine cold)

My bet is still on the VANOS. I posted a video of my VANOS noise here. You have double VANOS. If you don't have a stethoscope, just use a metal tube or something that you can put against the top of the VANOS and the other end to your ear. It is very obvious when you rev the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-QgTlEs7Uw

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/pics/engine/2713_832.jpg
    Last edited by xspeedy; 02-26-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast