GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 sunroof water leak. pool in the backseat

Default E34 sunroof water leak. pool in the backseat

Hey

after not driving my E34 for a while, the car is park in a gentle slope, rear of the car downslope.

the backseat behind the driver is soaked in water and there is a pool of water down where you put your feet.

There is not water coming from the roof. It is dry. i thought maybe the sunroof. I poor water in the sunroof so it goes does not go inside the car but inside the roof and couldn't see the water coming down any drain.

Where is the water coming inside the car???

I found a post or two here about it http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?p=301328
    and http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/363460

What I get. my drains are blocked. compressed air them. where is the water supposed to come down? and who did the water came inside the car if the roof inside the car is dry ? only the backseat seat (where you put your ass) and the feet well.

thank you for your input.

There are 4 drains for the sunroof. Two up front, and two in the back. They are located in the corners. Water comes out under the car somewhere. What you need is a coat hanger to unclog them.

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    There are 4 drains for the sunroof. Two up front, and two in the back. They are located in the corners. Water comes out under the car somewhere. What you need is a coat hanger to unclog them.
    should I remove the seats and carpet to check for rust? it has been wet for a while I guess.

There is a very heavy foam pad beneath the carpets that potentially holds a lot of water. I'd definitely take things apart and dry it out.
    Be careful using compressed air on the drains, if you blow the hoses off of the sunroof cassette you will need to remove the headliner to reattach them. A wire might be better.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I used weed eater line to run down my drains to clean 'em out. Just stiff enough to unclog the hoses, but soft/flexible enough to not damage the hoses.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

hey

somes news. I don't understand about the hoses you are talking about. For the front, I see 2 holes for draining the water. no problem there! However in the back ouch!

I poured water in the back of the sunroof opening again. I couldn't trust any wire/ find any holes there. There must be one though because some of the water found its way to the ground.

Ok like 1/5 of the water dribbles down on the street but the rest of the water disappeared until I saw it falling from the rear reading lamps and some of it was also seeping through the fabric of the ceiling ! WTF???? how do I repair that ****?

EDIT: do I have the replace the water hose #17 on this graphic http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...50&hg=54&fg=05
    ?
    how easy would it be?
    Last edited by Mordan; 02-24-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    There is a very heavy foam pad beneath the carpets that potentially holds a lot of water. I'd definitely take things apart and dry it out.
    Be careful using compressed air on the drains, if you blow the hoses off of the sunroof cassette you will need to remove the headliner to reattach them. A wire might be better.
    yea trying to remove the seeping humidity. for removing the pad, you have to remove the front seats. guess what? I can't remove the passenger seat's seat belt because the Torx14 bolt cannot be accessed with a ratchet. I need to buy a flat Trox14 spanner damn it.

I also broke my back when trying to remove the bloody back seat back (also soaked in water). they say you have to apply some force when pulling hard up. I think I will try to remove the armrest and pull from the center.

if weed eater won't auger it a guitar string will also work, also brake cable or some sort of stranded wire.

GL

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Quote Originally Posted by Elekta View Post
    if weed eater won't auger it a guitar string will also work, also brake cable or some sort of stranded wire.

GL
    man plz tell me how a guitar string will help water gushing from the rear reading lamp ? there must be a big hole somewhere.

I decided to remove EVERYthing.

i did a test writeup here.

http://pages.videotron.com/tupm/sunroof.htm

maybe some of the photos might help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast