GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Transmission Leak from Selector Rod

Default Transmission Leak from Selector Rod

I have 91 525ia M50 engine with A4S 310R automatic transmission. I found a leak from the selector rod area. See the link below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...01&hg=24&fg=15

I suspect the shaft seal is bad (number #2 in the figure). Does anyone know how to replace it? Do I need to drain the fluid and remove the pan? Any easy way to fix it?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    -

Default Dude, I'm pretty sure you have to drop the tranny....

Quote Originally Posted by AZ91525ia View Post
    I have 91 525ia M50 engine with A4S 310R automatic transmission. I found a leak from the selector rod area. See the link below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...01&hg=24&fg=15

I suspect the shaft seal is bad (number #2 in the figure). Does anyone know how to replace it? Do I need to drain the fluid and remove the pan? Any easy way to fix it?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    -
    That shaft goes deep into the transmission. Give these guys a call:

Bavarian Autosports
    602-254-7380

Ask for Andrew or Ray. Andrew is the owner. They rebuilt my tranny a couple of years ago and they did a good job. I have the exact same car as you. They are the best, most honest and knowledgable and helpful shop around for BMW's. I've been screwed by most other BMW shops in Phoenix.

These guys know more about BMW's than any shop I've run across.

Good luck.

JD

To replace the seal you need to drop the valve body and remove the shaft itself. I've tried replacing the seal without doing so, but the seal is plastic/rubber. It does not have a spring inside that pushes down on the lip, which means the lip itself is fairly hard. The design of the shaft does not allow you slide the seal on without pushing the inner lip of the seal outward, causing it to tear and leak. If yours leaks, but only a little bit, don't touch it. If you try to replace it, you will be having a small puddle of ATF under your car every night.

I have tried wrapping the shaft in electrical tape to prevent any sharp edges from pushing the lip out, I even tried a thin piece of card board. Nothing works. The clearance is so small, and the lack of room prevents you from carefully pushing the lip inward so it doesn't flip out and tear.