GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake rotor-dust shield

Default Brake rotor-dust shield

Recently I've noticed some rubbing that resembles the dust shield rubbing on the rotor. I had this issue when I first installed new brakes, it ended up going away after messing with the dust shield. It now has come back. It happens when I turn left only from the front left wheel. I checked the dust shield for any signs of it rubbing and everything looks fine. What could be rubbing?

I also noticed that the bolt holding the rotor does not hold the rotor down completely I can still slightly move the brake rotor. Is this normal?

P.S. I am running Raybestos Professional grade rotors with Raybestos ceramic pads.

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    Recently I've noticed some rubbing that resembles the dust shield rubbing on the rotor. I had this issue when I first installed new brakes, it ended up going away after messing with the dust shield. It now has come back. It happens when I turn left only from the front left wheel. I checked the dust shield for any signs of it rubbing and everything looks fine. What could be rubbing?

I also noticed that the bolt holding the rotor does not hold the rotor down completely I can still slightly move the brake rotor. Is this normal?

P.S. I am running Raybestos Professional grade rotors with Raybestos ceramic pads.
    Are you sure its not a bad wheel bearing? and are you actually moving just the rotor or the whole hub assy/ ie bad wheel bearing?

At first I thought it was a bad wheel bearing. But then I noticed that I rotor moves but the screw stays put. I tried to tighten it but its already tight. With the wheel in place I cannot move it even when tugging hard on it.

Remove dust shields... they are bad thing to put on car.

Yeah..its also bad when water splashes on them and you don't have any brakes.

Brake caliper by design always put some pressure on the pad so what rotor spins, water get scraped away. If water really affect your brake then you really got bad pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Remove dust shields... they are bad thing to put on car.
    Tiger i think he's talking about the factory dust shield on the back of the rotor attached to the spindle not Kleen Wheel dust shields.

[quote=russiankid;320078]At first I thought it was a bad wheel bearing. But then I noticed that I rotor moves but the screw stays put. I tried to tighten it but its already tight. With the wheel in place I cannot move it even when tugging hard on it.[/quote

I can't imagine why the rotor screw won't tighten up all the way, sounds like its unrelated to the rotor noise you're hearing anyway.

Thats what I thought as well. I don't have any bolts on my Honda and I don't have any issues. I am stumped as to what it could be. My rotors have 6k miles on them. The inner part of the rotor shows a bit more wear than the outer but its not much to really be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    Thats what I thought as well. I don't have any bolts on my Honda and I don't have any issues. I am stumped as to what it could be. My rotors have 6k miles on them. The inner part of the rotor shows a bit more wear than the outer but its not much to really be concerned about.
    Most German cars uses a screw to hold the disk down, otherwise when it comes time to change a flat tire the rotor can move and you won't be able to line up the bolts unlike a honda which has male studs and female bolts therefore the disk cant move.

Mazda Protege's uses 2 Screws on the rear drums.....kinda pointless, just so don't move.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast