GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Heater Core

Default Heater Core

Hello,
    I have been getting the faintest smell of antifreeze when I get into the car, and it always seems to fog up when the car is sitting in the sun so I thought I would take a look at the old heater core. I have a read that most e34 always have a healthy amount of coolant smell, but I thought I would check it out just to get an Idea of how it looks under the dash. I was just wondering where it is under the dash and whats the best way to get to it just to look at it.
    Thanks!

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

Do a search for "blower resistor" or "sword". Tons of helpful info. I'm doing mine this Spring once it's nice to work outdoors.

I had the same smell for at least a year in my 92 525i wagon and one very cold morning I started it to let it warm up only to come back out several minutes later to see the windshield so fogged I couldn't see. So chances are that if you are smelling it, it is only a matter of time before it turns into a major leak.

There's no easy way to see if is leaking. You literally have to tear it down to as if you were replacing it to see what the status is.

If you take on the endevor you make sure you have a Bentley manual. Although the steps are not perfect it's good enough so you don't pull your hair out.

Took me a good part of an afternoon to do mine, and while your at it put in a new micro filter. Mine looked like it was never changed and the airflow in the car now is 100% better.

Hope this helps some.