GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How rare is the M21 in a E34 in the States?

Default How rare is the M21 in a E34 in the States?

"It was introduced in 1983 with the BMW M20 design as its basis. It was available with a turbocharger. It was also the last diesel sold in the North American market in the E28 and E34 before the reintroduction of a diesel by BMW in the North American market E90 in 2009, the BMW M57
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M21

why was it phased out?

here in Europe, it is all the rage. and you routinely see 525TD with over 300 000 miles being sold here.

Diesel cars got hit by a bad reputation in North America. And as I understand it, regulation as well has come to support it. It has become popular belief that they pollute much more than regular fuel. Probably because trucks use diesel and smell alot on top of making horrendously loud noises. You always see black smoke coming out of North American trucks exhaust, which spread the belief.

But things are different today, and diesel is getting a better reputation based on facts. And they are also now legal in California, which has one of the most restrictive emissions regulations in the U.S.A.

On another note, American car companies have never manufactured diesel engines on a wide scale for cars. Japanese cars neither, at least in North America. I've only ever seen VW come out with diesel engines over here, like the Golf and Jetta Turbo Diesel (TDI).

America mostly buys american cars, but less and less nowadays, more japanese.

diesel is smelly and the fuel of satan....so I was told in elementary school
    ....I am american
    -Mike

spend a few days in a motel in Manila, I guarantee you wont like diesel vapors...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son View Post
    diesel is smelly and the fuel of satan....so I was told in elementary school
    ....I am american
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    Diesel cars got hit by a bad reputation in North America. And as I understand it, regulation as well has come to support it. It has become popular belief that they pollute much more than regular fuel. Probably because trucks use diesel and smell alot on top of making horrendously loud noises. You always see black smoke coming out of North American trucks exhaust, which spread the belief.

But things are different today, and diesel is getting a better reputation based on facts. And they are also now legal in California, which has one of the most restrictive emissions regulations in the U.S.A.

On another note, American car companies have never manufactured diesel engines on a wide scale for cars. Japanese cars neither, at least in North America. I've only ever seen VW come out with diesel engines over here, like the Golf and Jetta Turbo Diesel (TDI).

America mostly buys american cars, but less and less nowadays, more japanese.
    The black exhaust used to be true when Jimmy Carter was President...he pushed emissions regulations onto the trucking industry which is probably one of his better ideas. We went from the dual black chimenys of death to two heat stacks (and the trucks get better mileage for it).

The damn GM bastard diesels (made from gas engines with minimal changes to account for diesel operation) were the final nail in diesel's coffin for most Americans. GM made the cheapest conversion they could which resulted in the valvetrains wearing themselves out due to the abrasive nature of the engine oil. Folks don't like having to buy either a new valvetrain/camshaft or a new engine within the first 50K miles and every 50K thereafter...

Japan has banned new diesel cars in Tokyo due to pollution concerns. This seems like poor timing due to the emergence of the blue-tech systems and their clean exhaust. I must say, I don't miss the stench of the Japanese diesel trucks. Their exhaust is remarkable for making your eyes water and your nose run. There is a trucking industry that needs a good slap as they have fought emissions and mileage advances tooth and nail...

I still feel that turbo diesels are best suited for vehicles like the X5 and other SUV-like beasts. You get more car-like fuel mileage and much better low-end torque for squirting around town. Seems like a match made in heaven.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    spend a few days in a motel in Manila, I guarantee you wont like diesel vapors...lol
    All Japanese trucks? They have some over here (Germany) and man, I still hate that smell! I can't believe these things pass emissions testing or get any kind of fuel mileage. I swear they smell like they hardly burn the diesel before throwing it out the tail pipe.

And folks from other countries make fun of the American big rigs' twin smoke stacks, but they sure do a fine job of getting any stench above street level. Beats the hell out of sitting behind a Japanese stinker, blowing stinky exhaust over your hood and directly into your ventilation intakes...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M21

why was it phased out?

here in Europe, it is all the rage. and you routinely see 525TD with over 300 000 miles being sold here.
    The M21 engine is not fitted to the 525TD/TDS - that's the M51 engine.

The M21 in an E34 makes a 524TD, which had a production run 1987-1991

If I remember correctly the 524 is a six pot diesel engine, with a cambelt, which was underpowered and not terribly reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by bsell View Post
    And folks from other countries make fun of the American big rigs' twin smoke stacks, but they sure do a fine job of getting any stench above street level. Beats the hell out of sitting behind a Japanese stinker, blowing stinky exhaust over your hood and directly into your ventilation intakes...
    Brian
    Europe has come a long way in reducing polution from trucks and buses: http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/hd.php
    You can also get double the mpg (12-14) that you got 30 years ago (6-7).
    I'd be interested to know if they use the long wheelbase tractor units with the nice twin stacks round town in the US. This is a bit OT but its my field of work

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    The M21 engine is not fitted to the 525TD/TDS - that's the M51 engine.

The M21 in an E34 makes a 524TD, which had a production run 1987-1991

If I remember correctly the 524 is a six pot diesel engine, with a cambelt, which was underpowered and not terribly reliable...
    you are correct sir! my bad. it is indeed. reliable because of the forgotten belt?

here are germans trying to destroy a M21. look at the end, they do some nice driving with that M21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4l5PhKhT3U

faint hearts don't go see this video. it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    is it correct to say today a 524 in good shape is uber rare in the USA?

if you wanted great gas mileage in a BMW, I would get a diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast