GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Where the heck is my amp?

Default Where the heck is my amp?

I have a US E34 95 525 Touring with the factory radio/cassette and a factory CD changer in the rear. I would like to add a subwoofer to my system, but leave all the factory equipment in place. I did a similar install in my friends E39 97 528 sedan by tapping the audio lines going from the radio into his factory amp (getting line level versus speaker level audio). Only problem I'm running into is where to find my amp. Its not next to the CD changer on the left side of the trunk, and I took out my back seat and didn't think I saw it under there (might check again). Does anyone have any ideas on where it might be? Is it possible that I don't have an amp, even though I have the 10 speaker system? Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Eric

I'm not sure on the touring, but on my E34; It's in the trunk, behind the carpeted panel on the left side. get a screwdriver and pry the panel out, the amp is back there. should be near the taillight

right?

Quote Originally Posted by ECSonne
    I have a US E34 95 525 Touring with the factory radio/cassette and a factory CD changer in the rear. I would like to add a subwoofer to my system, but leave all the factory equipment in place. I did a similar install in my friends E39 97 528 sedan by tapping the audio lines going from the radio into his factory amp (getting line level versus speaker level audio). Only problem I'm running into is where to find my amp. Its not next to the CD changer on the left side of the trunk, and I took out my back seat and didn't think I saw it under there (might check again). Does anyone have any ideas on where it might be? Is it possible that I don't have an amp, even though I have the 10 speaker system? Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Eric

I know that's where it is in the sedan, but in the wagon, the CD changer is located there, instead of mounted below the rear deck (actually a different model changer, tall instead of wide). The wagon has a carpeted panel on the left side which opens easily to allow for changing CD's. The changer is towards the front, near the wheel well. There is some empty space next to the changer, closer to the taillight. It may be possible that the amp would mount here, although I don't see any holes for such. But thanks for the info; I'll continue my search.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M
    I'm not sure on the touring, but on my E34; It's in the trunk, behind the carpeted panel on the left side. get a screwdriver and pry the panel out, the amp is back there. should be near the taillight

right?

Thanks for the link.

Default Did you find it?

I have a Touring and had the sound system replaced - but it didn't have a CD changer, and I wasn't around when the installation shop removed the stock amplifier...

Thanks,
    Peter