GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replaced clutch, pedal falls to the floor

Default Replaced clutch, pedal falls to the floor

Just did a clutch replacement on 95 540/6. When i push the clutch pedal in it stays down. I have to pull it back up. even with it down car will not go into gear. Feels like it needs to be bled, but i didnt open any lines. Tried bleeding it, no help. Is there something im missing here? Im desperate now and dont want to have it towed to repair place. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barry 90 525i View Post
    Just did a clutch replacement on 95 540/6. When i push the clutch pedal in it stays down. I have to pull it back up. even with it down car will not go into gear. Feels like it needs to be bled, but i didnt open any lines. Tried bleeding it, no help. Is there something im missing here? Im desperate now and dont want to have it towed to repair place. Thanks
    I have heard that can happen if when you install the slave cylinder and miss the the throwout bearing arm. I guess it really isnt hard to do. You might want to check that the rod on the cylinder is in fact making contact properly with the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oyo View Post
    I have heard that can happen if when you install the slave cylinder and miss the the throwout bearing arm. I guess it really isnt hard to do. You might want to check that the rod on the cylinder is in fact making contact properly with the arm.
    I really hope this isn't the case I've never heard this before, but if it happens then the rod has likey gon for a ride along with all the brake fluid. You only make that mistake once.

I don't know how easy (or difficult) is to access the slave cylinder on the 540/6, but bleeding is the first thing you need to try. It may take a few pumps to get started, but this will hopefully work.

Good luck with it,

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

If you have already bled the system and did not see any air pockets from the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. Close the valve and continue to pump your clutch. It sucked to sit there and keep pumping it but after at least 100 times my pressure slowly built to wear it would return off the floor (I kept my hand behind the clutch so that it would not fully go to the floor). Once it is functional and you can put it in gear. Start the car and let the fluid circulate. I did not have a solid clutch pedal feel for at least 200 pumps on the pedal.
    Hope this saves from a tow to the repair shop those tend to get costly.

Tickin' Red Bomb

Found out the clutch resevoir was empty. Did not know this car had a seperate one from the brake fluid. Filled it up and bled the system and now its working great. Changing a 540/6 clutch was not bad. My friend and i spent about 7 hours total. It was my first time. One problem- My gearshift is in a different place now. Where neutral was is now 2nd and 4th with 1st and 3rd are now almost hitting the ashtray. Is there away to adjust it back to normal or is this the way it will always be?

Make sure that your shifter did not get flipped around. Meaning that the vertical shifter rod got spun 180 degrees. Spin that around 180 and give it a try. (I have heard on M3's that neutral will be located in different positions like behind 5th or behind 1st, but never have heard of the physical gear being in a new location.)......Sorry that I was no help on the clutch problem, I have a 535 and it runs completely off the brake fluid resevoir.........Also note if your extension piece that goes from the transmission to the vetical shifter has a bend in it then it goes a certain way....I know on e36 3 series they do.
    Last edited by bimmerred535i; 02-13-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Tickin' Red Bomb

Found out the clutch resevoir was empty. Did not know this car had a seperate one from the brake fluid. Filled it up and bled the system and now its working great. Changing a 540/6 clutch was not bad. My friend and i spent about 7 hours total. It was my first time. One problem- My gearshift is in a different place now. Where neutral was is now 2nd and 4th with 1st and 3rd are now almost hitting the ashtray. Is there away to adjust it back to normal or is this the way it will always be?
    make sure you have no fluid leak in both master and slave cylinders... i found out the hard way in my e36

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl