GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 94 540i transmission flush problems

Default 94 540i transmission flush problems

Went to get my fluid flushed today at the auto shop next to where I got my radiator changed. (I have heard nothing but good about them) They called 30 mins after and said that they cannot even flush the trans (because the trans is not set up to do so?) and that no one in town has the filter in stock. He said there's no dipstick either, just a drain plug. He also said that theres plenty of fluid in there, but that it is a really nasty black and needs definate changing. I asked if they used Dexron III and he said yes.

I have to go on a 4 hr trip tomorrow and I really want this trans problem at least diagnosed before I went so I went to another mechanic (Towery & Saunders) that claims they have the *best* flushing system availiable. I got another call shortly after saying that they cant do it either. Trans is a 5HP30.

Does this sound right to you guys?

The first place said they would change the fluid as soon as they get a filter kit in next week..

Thanks guys, as always.

...Once I get this transmission worked out, theres gonna be a nice black/black 540i for sale. G'dammit.
    Last edited by Phil M; 06-04-2004 at 03:21 PM.

The Bently has details but.... yes there is a drain plug, and then theres an big inverse fill plug/cap that requires a rare tool/bit/hex thingy to take off... yes there is not dipstick... to properly measure / fill.... Bentley details that too... basically w/ the car running and the tranny at normal temp.... to fill just keepin puttin in fluid until it spills out that inverse fill plug... filter can be hard to get... mine is from BMW dealer and they needed one day to get it because none were in stock, but the regional parts warehouse had plenty... as far as fluid... I used redline... think u can use Dexron III or you can use Mobil 1 Syn

1st of all... Do NOT use Dextron II... Tranny will self destruct. Tell them to drain that **** out and put in Multi Vehicle ATF... Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil, Quaker State... I know I am going to get flamed on this... Valvoline specifically stated compatability. Pennzoil doesn't say much officially but confirmed yes... I have official document... Quaker State and Pennzoil is same stuff.

Otherwise, the liability is on the shop... they will owe you a new tranny.

Tiger is right, Phil.
    540i tranny's use specific fluids ONLY. Do a search on this topic. It's been discussed ad nauseam.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Ok after seaching the past threads, I understand that I should tell them to use a 'multi vehicle ATF' such as Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc c. Right?

So Dextron III (not II) doesnt suffice in the 5HP30? Thats what they're wanting to use.

These guys knows its a 5HP30 so I would expect he knows what to do. He seems quite knowledgeable and by the book, and everyone says that they are very reliable. I mean if the Dextron III ****s my tranny, then they can shell out the 2k+ for a new one. That'll be a bitch.

Make sure you get everything written down on your reciept so you have a proof of service, product they used... and can stand up to the court of law.