GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e34 Door Rust Experts

Default e34 Door Rust Experts

Can I solicit some opinions, please?

Thoughts on our e34 here? I took a couple of quick photos of the driver's door. So far, I think its the only one doing this. I think this looks like classic e34 door rust. Next steps?

Car is horribly dirty right now.....

Thank you for your time and opinions!

I have the same on all 4 and have been wondering what to do myself other than getting new doors and a repaint.

Ken

for starters I would remove the bottom weather strip so more salt and moisture dont get in there. Cant tell whats under there anyways so there is no clue of the current damage.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I have started using rust bullet. It takes about three coats and you don't want to get any of this stuff on you but so far the rust has not come back. Two years and counting. Yes my doors had the same rust problems. Rust bullet is pretty amazing stuff.

http://www.rustbullet.com/html/ASTM_B117.htm

kiboko - i'm familiar with por15, never tried rustbullet. did you put a topcoat on it to match the car color? if so, how did that turn out?

any tricks to removing the weather seal at the bottom of the door? isn't it just pulled off to remove?

thanks again!
    Last edited by shadowpuck; 02-02-2009 at 09:38 PM.

-- now, with 5 speeds!

On my 89 535i you can just pull the weather seals right off. I have heard of por15 but never used it. I don't think you can paint on por-15 but you can on rustbullet. I repaired a 94 Honda accord with fender rust and this paint job came out pretty nice. I must stress that nothing on the market is 100% but this is the best stuff I have ever tried. I coated my doors two years ago and then again last year after a little of the rust returned. So far I have not seen any of the rust returning. My first job with rustbullet was on the Honda and I don't think I coated it enough or didn't get a smooth enough coat to cover all of the pin holes anyway I can see a little rust returning. I will coat it again this year. I will be doing it this year with my sons 735i. I have looked at the doors and only one door shows any rust. But I will coat all four doors anyway. BTW its Kiboko it means hippo in Swahili :-) My African name

thanks, kiboko for the information! if the weather cooperates next weekend, i'll take the seal off and report back with what i find......

-- now, with 5 speeds!

If you have a digital camera with a flash you can hold it in the door and can get some good pics of the rust. I did this to see how bad it was in my doors. A mirror and a flash light works wonder also

I´m getting 4 new doors, as mine have rusted beyond salvage this winter

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Ouch man big bucks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast