GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DTC option

Default DTC option

Does BMW equiped with DTC option (Dynamic Traction Control) all (E34, E39, E60) have LSD differential, or this function assured by other means ?

no it does not, if it did then traction control couldn't independently control the rear wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Does BMW equiped with DTC option (Dynamic Traction Control) all (E34, E39, E60) have LSD differential, or this function assured by other means ?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    no it does not, if it did then traction control couldn't independently control the rear wheels.
    Is it to say that if you disactivate the DTC function in the snow (or wet pavement) you may have a free spinning rear wheel meaning no traction at all ?

Yes. As regal said, those cars don't have an LSD. The only other differential available is the open diff, which would allow one wheel to loose traction without the DTC enabled. At least that's the logical conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    Yes. As regal said, those cars don't have an LSD. The only other differential available is the open diff, which would allow one wheel to loose traction without the DTC enabled. At least that's the logical conclusion.
    If it's really the case it's a real MINUS for us in northern region in winter time when stuck in the snow: With DTC ON you're not able to move because if a wheel start spinning... and it will... power is cut off so you'll not move for sure and with DTC OFF and an open differential if a wheel spin free... and it will... even if the other wheel could found / give some traction this one will not help because only the one that spin free (on ice for exemple) will rotate. Comclusion: One (in ours northern countries) will be better off with a car e/w LSD than with DTC That's my understanding, I am right ?

I don't know about DSC, but on cars with ASC/ASC+T you can install an LSD into them and use both or just the LSD. ASC/ASC+T is pretty simple. It just sense when a wheel is slipping and in the case of the rear wheels applies the brake to the slipping wheel and it cuts the power back with a secondary throttle body. And LSD would prevent the ASC/ASC+T from kicking in most of the time as it'd prevent wheel spin a good bit.

DSC does more than that, but you should be able to install LSD's in DSC equipped cars. The E39 M5 has DSC & an LSD. Don't see why you can't add an LSD to an E39 equippe with DSC.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    I don't know about DSC, but on cars with ASC/ASC+T you can install an LSD into them and use both or just the LSD. ASC/ASC+T is pretty simple. It just sense when a wheel is slipping and in the case of the rear wheels applies the brake to the slipping wheel and it cuts the power back with a secondary throttle body. And LSD would prevent the ASC/ASC+T from kicking in most of the time as it'd prevent wheel spin a good bit.

DSC does more than that, but you should be able to install LSD's in DSC equipped cars. The E39 M5 has DSC & an LSD. Don't see why you can't add an LSD to an E39 equippe with DSC.
    I've ask the dealer he said : M3 and M5 models are e/w LSD diff but all other's with regular (open) diff.

On the '95 540i M-Sports both LSD and ASC+T were options. I do believe that a few cars have both. Mine has ASC+T, and I've got an LSD sitting around to put into it at some point. No big hurry as I don't really need LSD. Need good winter tires more than that as the ASC+T set to snow mode actually works pretty decently.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Try driving up an icy drive with ASC + T. Never make it up. The rev limiting feature kicks in and kills any momentum. It needs to be disabled (Search forum for how) and then you can do it.

Disable the stupid system and use your parking brake as limited slip if your rear is slidding around.

And put in the LSD like BMW should have done in the first place.

Cheers,

Fin

Isn't there a way to disable the power limiting feature of the ASC? Hold the button until the light flashes or something like that, I did it once but....Or does it disable the anti-lock and keep the trac control on?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast