GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DEAD! - No CEL, will not fire - need serious help, Please

Default DEAD! - No CEL, will not fire - need serious help, Please

I had symptoms before, but only when it got real cold, and have been trying to determine the cause ... well what ever it was will keep it from firing.

The last time it ran, it was 14 degrees F ... so the engine was not warm ... started bucking, spiking the RPM's ... which I've seen before. But this time, loss of power ... downshift, downshift, downshift ... dead. Would crank but not turn over.

Tried stomp test but would not get the CEL to light ... ran dash test ... no CEL, swapped with a known working bulb ... no CEL!

I had an issue with my CPS about 3 years ago ... changed it even though I found that it was OK ... I trust the Hella more than the one I put in, especially when I found that the cable was moving within the connector.

I can't find the post about what to suspect with a no start .. anybody have the list or link to that post.

Is my dash screwed? What could cause the CEL not to work?
    Is my ECM screwed?

Anybody have a code reader I could borrow? I'm in the Elgin area. Will supply beer or free poster size print of your car/or what ever, for the use of the reader.

This is extremely bad timing since I've been battling the crappastic A4 and costly problems with it and it needs to go back to the shop, which makes it real difficult to get to work w/o any cars

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
    Ken
    '93 525i w/VANOS

pretty much sounds like the fuel pump gave it up this time. Check for fuel, then for spark. That way you know what direction to look in.

Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by zuzuk212 View Post
    so the engine was not warm ... started bucking, spiking the RPM's ... which I've seen before. But this time, loss of power ... downshift, downshift, downshift ... dead. Would crank but not turn over.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Fuel pump and double check the CPS.

Thanks Jeff!
    Any ideas about the dead CEL?
    Ken

not sure at all what to make of the dead CEL, maybe as it was dying the voltage draw had something to do with it? Really dont have a clue why the codes went away.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Check for spark first, if no CPS is a likely culprit. If spark try introducing fuel manually. A bit of carb clnr,etc. through a vacuum port or such. If she fires then start trouble shooting the fuel system. Relay and fuses, ground, pump, yada yada.
    A little basic trouble shooting is needed first, the codes when retrieved will make more sense that way also.
    No explaination for why the CEL is dead.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I just replaced the CPS (crank) even though the one I pulled Ohmed OK.

No spark.
    Cam sensor? Chiltons states that it should Ohm between 1.15k-1.41k ... I couldn't find it in Bentley.
    Besides the crank and cam sensors, what else would stop the spark? ... other than the coils.

Thanks again,
    Ken

What did you install? Aftermarket or OE new one? Aftermarket CPS is junk. Put back your OE and reset the gap.

main relay could be bad.

From one of Winfreds post regarding the CPS:

"theres 3 tests for a cps, pulse, ohm's and current, they can pass 2 out of 3 and be bad, i can't remember exactly what that one reads as resistance 540 or 900 something, pulse is not that important and takes a scope to read, current, should make at least 1 volt AC at cranking speed, generally if the main relay is working the idle control valve will buzz slightly to the touch with the key on"
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    What did you install? Aftermarket or OE new one? Aftermarket CPS is junk. Put back your OE and reset the gap.
    OE died three years ago ... ohms nadda
    I replaced it with aftermarket ... thought it was the culprit and ordered a Hella as soon as I could ... but when I got a chance to dig into it found that the aftermarket ohmed ok, but the connector was not solid ... I can move the cable around, so since I have the better part, I put it in but no difference.

I just ohmed the cam sensor ... dead.
    Thanks
    Ken

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast