GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: I was owned than I owned him

Default I was owned than I owned him

Hey,

at night

my M20 sucks around 62 m/h (100 km.h) I couldn't even follow that new serie 1 coupe with a 3 liter engine in it.

but I got my revenge at a red light 15 km after.

the M20 on the auto tranny just owned the bastard.... until around 62m/h when he easily got past me. once in there the engine just don't have much power anymore as in the first 2 speeds. is that normal for the M20. I have a ZF 4 speed. Is there a trick? Should I switch to manual ?

he probably has a stick and maybe made a mistake.

but I don't care my 21 years old car still owned his brand new sport car! hahaha

So that's with your e30 then ? Nicely done. Well, you do have 170 hp and a lighter car than he would. Torque is key, and high reving is also better if you want a quick start. I think people don't get that part very often, or they're afraid of pushing their new toy. Or they just don't know the figures on their engines and don't use it accordingly.

So, if you keep your hand on the shifter and shift speeds yourself, maybe you'll get a better response. You could chip it if it's limited. The idea is getting to the red limit and shift as late as possible, which automatic won't always do.

If I want a real great start with my e34 M50 (190hp @5900rpm 2.5L), I have to clutch in at around 4000-5000 rpm. Then I get sucked into my seat. If I really want to keep the power up, I shift around 7000. I gotta be careful because the limiter kicks in and I lose power. And when I hit the legal speed limit, well I go to fifth and cruise.

I surprised a 'vette once, kept up with him, and I could tell he really wasn't pushing his rig. T'was no real race, I just like a quick start, and I respected the speed limit as I always do. I suspected he was trying to get ahead of me from the right to get onto a ramp on the left to the highway, where I also was going. I suspected his move and did not accelerate further to counter him if; and sure enough, he let his engine howl up and passed me from the right instead of relenting behind me. "I thought so," said I to myself.

Well it was fun to hear his engine. What would have been had I a 540, I sometimes wonder... not to say an M5.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    So that's with your e30 then ? Nicely done. Well, you do have 170 hp and a lighter car than he would. Torque is key, and high reving is also better if you want a quick start. I think people don't get that part very often, or they're afraid of pushing their new toy. Or they just don't know the figures on their engines and don't use it accordingly.

So, if you keep your hand on the shifter and shift speeds yourself, maybe you'll get a better response. You could chip it if it's limited. The idea is getting to the red limit and shift as late as possible, which automatic won't always do.

If I want a real great start with my e34 M50 (190hp @5900rpm 2.5L), I have to clutch in at around 4000-5000 rpm. Then I get sucked into my seat. If I really want to keep the power up, I shift around 7000. I gotta be careful because the limiter kicks in and I lose power. And when I hit the legal speed limit, well I go to fifth and cruise.

I surprised a 'vette once, kept up with him, and I could tell he really wasn't pushing his rig. T'was no real race, I just like a quick start, and I respected the speed limit as I always do. I suspected he was trying to get ahead of me from the right to get onto a ramp on the left to the highway, where I also was going. I suspected his move and did not accelerate further to counter him if; and sure enough, he let his engine howl up and passed me from the right instead of relenting behind me. "I thought so," said I to myself.

Well it was fun to hear his engine. What would have been had I a 540, I sometimes wonder... not to say an M5.
    I'm kinda new to the performance thing. I never pushed a car that far before. So I can't say about the behavior of your stick in your e34 M50. BUt i clearly see that my auto tranni is at a disadvantage compared to your stick. i can't ever go in the red, unless in manual mode.

my feeling is that for a rookie, a auto tranny will be easier. what happens with mine is I press the accelerator and it goes straight to 5700 to 6200. Why this number varies still baffles me. anyways it then shifts very fast a little down (like 1000) and goes up again. I think I would not be able to do that with a stick while concentrating on the road.

auto trannies here in a E30 is so ****ing rare that people will think I'm a pro. but I ain't. auto trannies allow anyone to casually race.. you know what i mean? I could have eaten a sandwich while doing it. in that sense you can own the usual driver trying to race you.

PS: I have heard many stories of people here in France breaking their engine doing a mistake shifting 2 instead of 4 with a stick ouch!!!

he was either toying with you or didn't know how to drive.

auto trannies are great for consistent drag race times, but that's about it.