GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Test MAF?

Default Test MAF?

I have a 1215 code - mass air flow sensor. Does anyone have a procedure to test this? I did do a search first.

1995 525iT M50

Thanks!!
    Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI
    1995 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    I have a 1215 code - mass air flow sensor. Does anyone have a procedure to test this? I did do a search first.

1995 525iT M50

Thanks!!
    There's an easy way and a hard way.
    Ther easy way is less precise: disconnect it and start the car or disconnect it when running. See what happens.
    The hard way involves measuring resistances and stuff. You'll need a manual like Haynes or other for that.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

If you don't have a DMM (Digital Multimeter), get one. They're cheap and indispensible, even for the electrically challenged such as myself.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default I hate to tell you this.....

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post

1995 525iT M50

Thanks!!

but I recently had the same code on my 1992 525i and I tested the MAF with this procedure, cleaned it with special MAF cleaner, cleaned the idle control valve, and finally failed emissions.

Turned out that my catalytic converter was bad. Luckily, the state of Arizona has a clean air program that paid for all but $150 for the new cat.

The code went away after I passed emissions.

Try getting some MAF cleaner and do the tests in the book. Hopefully you don't have to do what I did.

JD

Thanks for the test procedure. The wire cleaning burst is a quick and easy first check.

I put a new set of plugs in, and it's a fair but better. I really have my doubts about the MAF thing. Idles very rough, smooths at steady throttle. misses and chugs at partial throttle. Since replacing plugs, it misses at throttle tip in, then smooths out once power and revs build. Still chugs at idle. Wierd.
    Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI
    1995 525iT